Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I have a loaded 2019 RAM Limited Crew Cab 4X4...bought it in mid-Feb and LOVE IT! Amazing vehicle and Ford and GM can't even come close!

Truck of the Year baby;)
My 2006 Dodge needed a lot to make it work. The TracRite GT LSD only let one wheel spin on ice (it's a torque multiplier 0 x X=0), and an open diff in the front. I'd go backwards going up my driveway hill with ice only on one side.

Add a Eaton E-Locker fixed that. Then the gear ratio was wrong.. so add a Gear Vendors secondary transmission. Fixed that..
Then "Unit bearing sealed hubs" add Dynatrack locking hubs. Fixed that.

Has Dodge finally fixed it's running gear to make it viable for snow and ice? Better gear selections? Trashed the Unit bearing front hubs? ($600 each not counting labor of $600 to install) Unit bearing hubs fail virtually instantly locking the wheel. My lock out hubs use a $12 Timpken bearing need 2. So $24 vs $600. They are easily checked and replaced. They also do not fail catastrophically but slowly.

This is my 3rd Dodge. B59 Cummins turbo diesel was why I've gone Dodge.

I also heard no more standard transmissions with high low transfer cases.

I'm about due for a new plow truck/winter transportation.

Hopefully I can find a truck with a solid drivetrain. Correct gearing, front, or front and rear lockers, good (Alison) transmission, and lock out hubs.

I've always had a pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
@JohnInNH...I have the HEMI with an electronic transfer case of 2WD, 4WD HI, 4WD LO, 4WD AUTO. The main tranny is 8-speeds with a manual gear limited. I also have the Electronic Rear Axle Locker. I'm not worried about going through anything in this truck:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
@JohnInNH ...I have the HEMI with an electronic transfer case of 2WD, 4WD HI, 4WD LO, 4WD AUTO. The main tranny is 8-speeds with a manual gear limited. I also have the Electronic Rear Axle Locker. I'm not worried about going through anything in this truck:D
Do you have a front locker or LSD (in the front) and lockout hubs?

Unit bearing hubs are a show stopper. I've seen one pull up to the shop after failing. He attempted to make it to the shop only a couple of blocks away... his hub was glowing orange anf locked up just as he pulled in.

Talk about effed up!! 😳😱 .. that wouldn't happen with a Dynatrack lock out hub. It's about $1500. Two failures pay the price of admission then you get 1.5 mpg more as a bonus for not spinning the front axles.

My step son had one fail with the plow on at 65 mph on rt89 going to Burlington VT. So how do you tow it with a plow attached? Talk about $$ and a royal PITA.

All 4x4's should have them. The bearings are much farther apart so the bearing load has much less lateral force applied while driving than a unit bearing hub about 2"-3" vs 5".

Maybe Dodge has redesigned the front hubs? I need to check. Like a sales person will know how they work lol.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The G70 is the most direct competitor when you run down the list, but I'd personally go with a size shrink and snag a m240i.
Checks every box is a comparable price and they are a car that may very well start to appreciate in a few years.
You think a 2019 M240i will be worth more than you paid for it today in 3 years?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
3 years? Not likely, but in 5 or 6 years when most cars on sale are going to be hybrids or EV's? There is a good chance
that it will be worth something.
On the BMW "build your own", my 2020 M2 Competition Coupe came out to $88,801

·
Registered
657 Posts
95% sure I'm going SUV for my next vehicle purchase (and will keep my Q50 until the wheels fall off).

Just returned an Audi Q7 I rented from Silvercar to go to a friend's wedding about 1.5 hours away. Made it a road trip with 4 other guys and it had plenty of room for us, our suitcases, a Yeti cooler, and some extra stuff. It rode and handled great along twisty roads in upstate NY, panoramic sunroof was huge and made it not feel like a box on wheels, MMI/virtual cockpit interface made InTouch look even more outdated than reviews already say it is, and all my friends commented on how comfortable it was for the haul. Only gripe I had was that while a 2.0T was adequate to drive around, the V6 would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
On the BMW "build your own", my 2020 M2 Competition Coupe came out to $88,801
Yeah that's why you go with the m240i, comes out to like 44K and you can toss a JB4 at it and make nearly identical power.
It's essentially the supra in a slightly larger package but for 10K less.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
3 years? Not likely, but in 5 or 6 years when most cars on sale are going to be hybrids or EV's? There is a good chance
that it will be worth something.
Okay. A few can mean 5 or 6.

You say “worth something” and “appreciate”.

You mean to that there’s a good chance that it will be worth more than what is sells for today by then? I’m not saying you’re wrong. I don’t know much about BMWs resale value. We’ll see.

I often hear that most sell them off as soon as the lease is up. Are other 5-6 year old Ms worth more now than when they were initially purchased?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Okay. A few can mean 5 or 6.

You say “worth something” and “appreciate”.

You mean to that there’s a good chance that it will be worth more than what is sells for today by then? I’m not saying you’re wrong. I don’t know much about BMWs resale value. We’ll see.

I often hear that most sell them off as soon as the lease is up. Are other 5-6 year old Ms worth more now than when they were initially purchased?
BMW deprecation is only slightly better than Infiniti's after 5 years so it's about 42-44% depending on the model/trim. A clean 2005 M3 for example is about 20-25K
right now and it retailed for around 48K when new (accounting for inflation).

But you're right I'm not being very clear so I'll try and break down my thought process.

1. It's not so much about a brand as it is the car, enthusiast cars tend to hold their value long after
they were produced. The G37 can be bought for less money than a 370z for example.

2. Cars that are no longer produced tend to start appreciating in value, for example a used
Honda S2000 back in 2012 was about 8-12K, but the car went out of production in 09
and prices have continued to climb and today they cost nearly 30K.

3. Which is honestly the most important point is the eventual replacement of the internal combustion engine with EV's means gas powered performance cars
that average consumers can afford will become increasingly rare and more expensive.

The 2-series/M2 represent are one of the few true enthusiast gas powered car still in production today.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The new C8 may not depreciate much, if at all. Just my opinion. I'm starting to regret not signing up for one 3-4 months ago. Granted in 20-25 years when it's worth a lot I'll probably be dead.
I'd drive it, not store it as a collector's item. I feel it will turn out to be the Hemi Cuda of the current cars.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The new C8 may not depreciate much, if at all. Just my opinion. I'm starting to regret not signing up for one 3-4 months ago. Granted in 20-25 years when it's worth a lot I'll probably be dead.
I'd drive it, not store it as a collector's item. I feel it will turn out to be the Hemi Cuda of the current cars.
Aye the C8 is another car I'm sure will hold it's value nicely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was cross shopping the IS350 when I bought my Q and just wasn't that impressed. I don't know if it was because of the weight but it just didn't really feel fast. The seats were beautiful, the moving gauge/screen was cool, but the rest was kinda meh. And the center stack/infotainment looked like it came out of 1998. I think the Q is hands down the better car all the way around; except for resale value!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know that much about them and not sure if they are more reliable now than they were in the past, but the new Audi S3's certainly sound enticing. Same engine as the Golf-R with AWD and DSG. The interior would take some getting used to. I much prefer the S4 body style but I was reading that the new B9 engine is proving difficult to tune. My Q just seems like the safe bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only German cars to be bought are AMGs (Real ones 63s 65s) or Porsches (911) the second ones can’t be compared with anything available with 4 wheels in terms of reliability, feel and driving pleasure.
I just leased a Q50S and these are great cars for the $.
if the Alfa had a 6 cyl. That would be it.
bmw is a piece of crap after the E90 cars. Completely waste of $. MB are great in AMG trim, what else is there to buy or lease for the $ ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know it’s not the same class, however I think I’m shooting for an F90 M5. I messed up not deciding to purchase an AWD Q50. Honestly, when I bought my Red Sport, I had all intentions of leaving it stock and thought I’d benefit from lower weight and drivetrain loss on a RWD model. I’ve never owned a BWM before and definitely would like to explore that world someday. Bone stock 2.9 0-60 and 600+ whp sounds awesome. I thought I saw an article where they stated 800hp on tune only. Anyways, I need to hold off a couple years and hope an ‘18 depreciates to about $50k for any chance of that happening.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
It is not out yet, but I am quite curious to see the AWD camry. Except that the only news I see about it is a 200 something horsepower motor which leads me to believe it will be a dog.

Subaru is interesting now that they have a Legacy XT (2.4 DIT)...but mated to a CVT.

I drove the Altima SR AWD and it was a snail.

As a family car/sedan, I can't think of anything else that has decent performance at anywhere near that price-point. By price-point, I mean $45 for a 1 year old car as I would not have paid the $62 MSRP nor a discounted $55 for a brand new Red Sport AWD.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts