Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
If you look carefully in the Owner's Manual, that 'Outside Temp Range' diagram (JVT0428X) is under the 2.0L section. It is not present under the VR30DDTT section.
That appears to be correct. The MB229.5 oil spec for the 2.0L lists those oil viscosities vs. the anticipated temperature ranges in that diagram. However, if you look carefully at the VR30 section of the Engine Oil and Oil Filter Recommendation section of the Owner's Manual, you'll see it's worded identically to the 2.0L section. So the viscosity recommendation to select the appropriate engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures the engine will be operated in before the next oil change still applies.

While there are more acceptable oil viscosity choices for the 2.0L engine, Infiniti still offers a limited choice for the VR30 engine based on anticipated temperatures before the next oil change.

From the Service Manual:

So the way I interpret this is as long as the oil meets API certification, you can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil in the VR30, depending on your anticipated temperature range before the next oil change.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
That appears to be correct. The MB229.5 oil spec for the 2.0L lists those oil viscosities vs. the anticipated temperature ranges in that diagram. However, if you look carefully at the VR30 section of the Engine Oil and Oil Filter Recommendation section of the Owner's Manual, you'll see it's worded identically to the 2.0L section. So the viscosity recommendation to select the appropriate engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures the engine will be operated in before the next oil change still applies.

While there are more acceptable oil viscosity choices for the 2.0L engine, Infiniti still offers a limited choice for the VR30 engine based on anticipated temperatures before the next oil change.

From the Service Manual:

View attachment 101832

So the way I interpret this is as long as the oil meets API certification, you can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil in the VR30, depending on your anticipated temperature range before the next oil change.
Good find.

I agree. They make it very clear that 0-20 is the recommended viscosity of choice. But if you dig, you can find compelling evidence that other viscosities are acceptable. But I would say for the average consumer who is not doing any reading beyond the Owner's Manual, it's not crystal clear that 5-30, 0-40, and 5-40 are acceptable.

"conventional petroleum oils" scares me. Are we not allowed to use synthetic? Or are we if it has API Certification?

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
My dealer's service manager put a call in to someone to double check. He was told to use only 0w20 or risk denying a warranty claim.

with 0w20 in there, I feel vulnerable. I shouldnt, but I do.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,277 Posts
I feel ALIVE!!!!!!! Living on the edge with 0w20!!!!!!!! Ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I LOVE danger!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,277 Posts
Reactions: rpiotro and jodedor

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
I'm sticking with 0W-20. Doesn't get hot enough here to change to 5W-30.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Was hoping to be tracking JB shipment but end of July back order now says “Mid August”

So just got some weather tech mats and looking into down pipes

cant find any new from Megan racing
anymore

Edit. Now I see this thread is dead ha

·
Registered
829 Posts
you guys worrying about oil viscosity for the VR30 should probably read the last few pages of this thread: Oil temps vs. coolant temps

0w20 is just fine. it can be 120 degrees outside and 0w20 is still going to be fine, lol. its far more important to check your oil LEVEL and CHANGE it out around 5-7k miles than it is worth worrying about what weight oil you should use.

if your panties un-bunch when you see "5w30" on the bottle, then use that and feel better. its not any better or worse for a VR30 vs 0w20. both oils will perform just fine.

this anxiety and fear of 20w oils seems to be born out of ignorance/uninformed people and outdated thinking from old timer mechanics that have failed to stay current on technological advances. theres a big difference from using 20w oil in an engine thats been designed with tight bearing tolerances and additional oil cooling vs using 20w in an iron block v8 with poor production tolerances and larger bearing clearances.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
Not more boost...just for longer periods of time.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
Made an appointment to get the windows and moonroof tinted.

That doesn't count as "doing something to your Q50 today", 🤣

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Iridium Blue/ Graphite
403 Posts
Don’t even have it yet but ordered wide wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
Reactions: Ohthatguy

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Iridium Blue/ Graphite
403 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
small adjustment but feels better.

View attachment 102022
Little things matter. When I hear someone proclaim "But it is within spec!" I want to punch them in the nose. Yeah I feel that strongly about it.

I had my G8 GT aligned twice and still not right. I drove the 60 miles to Waukegan, IL to have it aligned because I heard good things about that shop. Perfect!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Necro time!!!!

got in my mishimoto oil catch can, line out converter, and amp wiring kit today. Itching to get that OCC in place. Might be doing it in a few minutes… wish me luck.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts