Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40 MPG +

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just curious to see where Hybrid owners are falling with MPG. I now have 1500 miles on the car and I'm averaging about 20.5-21.5 MPG per my computer. I've reset the computer each time I fill up. My driving is mixed with city/back roads/highway. Am I the only one getting poor MPG out of their hybrid? I have a AWD Sport, so I know I loose a little bit from the AWD, but I'm getting comparable milage to my old G37Xs sedan. I averaged around 19-20 with my G. In my G, I never paid attention to TRYING to get good milage, with the Q I'm trying to get the car in to EV and I'm mindful of my driving habits. That being said, I have not been beating on the car the way I normally would. So far this is my only complaint with the car. I haven't had any of the in touch or DAS issues so I feel lucky, but I figured I'd be saving some money on gas begetting the Hybrid...

·
Registered
573 Posts
31mpg just hwy miles with cruise about 77mph. My daily commute sees 28mpg with a mix of sport and standard with speeds at about 45mph. I take advantage of lifting off and settling into my speed to force EV to kick in between charging.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are averaging 20.5-21.5 per your computer you are likely actually getting less than 20mpg in reality. The trip computer has been way off. I have 4k miles on my q50s hybrid AWD and have never gotten more than 24. My overall average is about 22mpg. I wouldn't trust the results of this poll though as Infiniti has great incentive to make sure it doesn't overall reflect our real world experience with the car. Not saying some people don't get better mpg, just that some higher mpg responses are likely to be "influenced".

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mine is all over the place.

I hate getting in a cold car, so winter warmups cut into mileage badly. My typical ex-urban to rural driving is in the high 20s. Highway driving, while staying below 2K RPM, is in the low 30s.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We should also add a vote for current milage as that may affect mpg.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If it is based on what report from the Q50 computer, I get anywhere between 29 - 36mpg per tank depend on how I drive. My actual calculated mpg is always between 2 - 3mpg less than what report from the Q50.
The key to get good gas mileage:
1. Drive as much in EV as possible
2. Make sure tires pressure is properly inflated (35psi)
3. Keep your trunk as light as possible. That mean unload anything that doesn't need to be in there.
4. Rolling resistance. I always let my car roll to a stop instead driving to a stop immediate. Check the rear view mirror make sure you don't piss other people off.
5. Ease up on the acceleration. Heavy foot acceleration will eat up a lots of gas.
6. Try to time the stop light to stop light intersection to avoid stopping from a red light. The less you stop and go, the better your gas mileage. I heard Audi upcoming car that will predict that for you. That's a cool technology to have.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go to the Engine forum and you will find a couple of MPG threads with even pictures. But in a summary I'm getting and average of 34 MPG since I got the car in November 9th, and averaging now 45% of EV mileage. For the past 2 tanks and current one it has been close to 50% of EV miles.

Just like mentioned above, key is EV miles, if you don't accomplish that then remember now you have a 3.5 engine trying to move an over 300 pounds heavier car comparing to the G (as far as I can remember, sorry if not accurate), so you indeed have a disadvantage doing just normal driving.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There are many factors here. Influence, I would say not. Conspiracy theory much Randy. :)

Temperature and the car's need to keep coolant temps up are a factor, runs gas motor to do so, average speed, stop and go versus free flowing, how heavy one is on the accelerator pedal, what mode one drives in, etc. are all factors.

One question to compare with mpg is what is your current EV Mileage and percentage of total miles on the odometer? Low MPG has to be accompanied with low EV Miles. (just seeing Erast point out this fact above, he is spot on).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 1,546 miles and 416 EV miles. There are times when I think the car should be in EV, but it won't go in EV. For example. I could be coasting down hill with my foot off the gas and let the car roll to a stop from 50mph and it won't go in to EV until the car hits 10-15mph. This is with a full charge on the batterie as well. I find that there are times where the car refuses to go in to EV. I can try to "slingshot" the car in to EV getting up to 50-55 and letting off the gas so the car drops in to EV and I can coast at 45 mph and the car won't go in to EV. To the point that I can just not touch the gas or break peddle and let the car slow down to 10-15 mph before it goes in to EV and comes out of EV if I even touch the gas peddle...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 1,546 miles and 416 EV miles. There are times when I think the car should be in EV, but it won't go in EV. For example. I could be coasting down hill with my foot off the gas and let the car roll to a stop from 50mph and it won't go in to EV until the car hits 10-15mph. This is with a full charge on the batterie as well. I find that there are times where the car refuses to go in to EV. I can try to "slingshot" the car in to EV getting up to 50-55 and letting off the gas so the car drops in to EV and I can coast at 45 mph and the car won't go in to EV. To the point that I can just not touch the gas or break peddle and let the car slow down to 10-15 mph before it goes in to EV and comes out of EV if I even touch the gas peddle...

I have had the same experience.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you are in the situations described above, when you are cruising and doesn't get into EV mode just press the brake slightly so you still keep a cruising speed but engage in EV mode, it works for me most of the time unless I don't have enough charge.

Sometimes I think that it has to be with RPM, if the car is too high on RPM it doesn't engage on EV mode, so hitting the brake pedal helps, I mean this only when in high speeds, when in lower speeds what I do is to accelerate even more until I know the transmission shifts and then let off the pedal.

At least that has been my experience, and as you can see my EV miles have been always very high.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
If you do "break" your piddle, I'd see a doctor for it. :D Otherwise, when you step on the "brake" "pedal," you sometimes do not go into EV mode. I'd love it if an Infiniti engineer would describe what that requirement is for it to go into EV mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I drive the way I want to drive then I get 20-22mpg. If i drive like grandma I get 25-27mpg. I live in florida and dont have the AWD. Im glad there are other people getting this MPG. Reading previous threads where everyone is getting 30+mpg made me think that either there was something wrong with me or my car. Drive in economy mode like grandma gets really annoying after a while and I tried that for sometime. I want my driving experience to be stress free and enjoyable and I am tired of trying to keep the car in EV mode and trying to accelerate like a bicycle, its very anxiety provoking as well because you keep on looking at your monitor and your MPG's. Now I pretty much drive on Standard mode and dont worry about the EV business. I am not driving aggressive but just normal, I think. last I checked I was at approx 23mpg.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you are in the situations described above, when you are cruising and doesn't get into EV mode just press the brake slightly so you still keep a cruising speed but engage in EV mode, it works for me most of the time unless I don't have enough charge.
Thats not really helping either. There are times that no matter how hard I try, I can't get in to EV...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thats not really helping either. There are times that no matter how hard I try, I can't get in to EV...
Sorry that isn't working for you the way you expected, for me it is, even better than that.

Again, I don't drive as a grandpa, I just take advantage of our traffic in my daily commute to maximize my fuel economy but I just drive it like the sport car it is every time I have a chance.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Q50 ECU learn your driving behavior. I notice that after I got the DAS update which probably reset the ECU, it doesn't go into EV mode as much like before the update. Now after 4 days of driving since the DAS update in which I tend to drive as much in EV as possible, my car seem to be getting into EV much easier.
So, the more you tend to try to get the car drive in EV, the better chance your car will go into EV in the future. You will know when you let go the gas pedal, the car will immediately go into EV (when the battery is warm up already).
I used 2 drive mode to drive. Standard for EV driving as much as possible. Personal mode (Sport transmission) for strictly spirited/aggressive driving. Since I trained my Standard mode to go into EV driving as much as possible, I can pretty much let go the gas pedal and it go into EV immediately.
Also, it take couple of miles for the battery to warm up especially in the morning. If you drive short distance, that not going to help much. If you drive long distance, that will help your mpg #.

·
Registered
194 Posts
PHP:
I just uploaded a Youtube video, on it you will see 2 things:

First, compare it to the picture that I posted earlier today by noon before I went to my family trip to the South of the Island on a 100 miles round trip, this morning I had almost a Full tank with 49.8 miles on this tank and almost half of those were EV miles (24.1), then I went to this trip and I drove like a mad man, I needed to be at an specific time at my destination and we were late, so, you will understand that there were no EV mileage plans on the first trip, and obviously there were consequences, notice in the video I posted, that coming back from it in the first trip of around 50 miles, I already had spent almost 1/4 of a tank and the EV mileage was already down to 42%.

Second, notice that once I entered EV mode I managed to keep it for 4.4 miles and almost 4:30 minutes. Now, just take a look at how good the EV mileage is on average after this period, and add up that I had a couple of more opportunities like this one and after all I ended up having almost 48% of EV miles on this tank just the moment I arrived back at home.

One more thing, sorry about the shaky and bumpy video but as you can see there was a lot of traffic and I couldn't keep focusing on the Video alone, also, if you don't like Marc Anthony and/or Salsa Music, turn down your Speaker volume as that was what I was hearing all the way....There is now way that I can have a Family Trip without any music on the radio, neither my wife nor my daughters will let me do it. :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Mine is all over the place.

I hate getting in a cold car, so winter warmups cut into mileage badly. My typical ex-urban to rural driving is in the high 20s. Highway driving, while staying below 2K RPM, is in the low 30s.
I have noticed that too! I live in Houston so we don't quite get winter here like a lot of places, but on really cold days the engine has to stay on much more to keep warm up itself, and incidentally, me. It really affects mileage with the car shies away from EV mode almost the whole drive to work in the morning.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I'm in the 24-27 category. I deal with a lot of traffic though and when I don't I do get a real kick out of breaking into the triple digits so I guess getting 25-26 isn't such a bad thing considering. I'm surprised at how many people are in the 20-23. Maybe this is from some people's habit to sort of mash and release an accelerator maintain a cruise velocity more than necessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.