Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been an owner for 5 days now on my 2016 Q50 3.0t Premium. Several little things are getting on my nerves, love the car, just think some of these things should have been addressed by Infiniti. If this has been already discussed to death, tell me to shut the FU. I am a new member, and still wet behind the ears on this forum. I just jumped ship from Mercedes after 10 years, they do some things right, as Infiniti does some things right.

• rear trunk open button is so hard to find.
  • the trunk lid will not open easily, why bother having struts when they do not assist in opening, plus it SLAMS shut
  • the interior is So dark at night, there really needs to be some low level lighting, especially in the footwells.
  • why can't I open the rear doors from the outside (even when vehicle is unlocked? I read through the manual and went through online settings. If there is a setting, it's not easy to find. Sometimes it will open.
  • I've been using smart keys for about 15 years, this one is really different and have not figured it out yet. Also, the system keeps telling me to turn on the intelligent key!?!?!?? Again, went through settings, seems like it's on.
  • AUTO setting on the headlights, they've been around forever, I love this feature, when I park and open the door (with the switch in the auto position), the car dings at me telling me the headlights are left on.

I've only had the car since Saturday (4 days) and so far these little things are getting on my nerves.

Have anything else to add? Suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where are you located? If local, I can swing by and help diagnose the issues. Sounds like user or settings error.

• No issues with finding the trunk open button on my 2015 Q50
  • My trunk opens pretty easily. These struts are designed to keep the lid fully open, not an assist auto close function like Mercedes.
  • My interior is white, no issues with it being dark.
  • My doors open when the car is unlocked from the outside and inside, no issues. You do have to press unlock twice to unlock rear doors. Are you doing that?
  • The Intelli Key is simple to use. Press the lock button to lock the car. Press the unlock button to unlock the car, Press the unlock button twice to unlock the rear doors. Hold down the unlock button to roll down windows and open roof (if you have one). Keep the keys in your pocket, press down the brake pedal and the ignition start button at the same time to start the car. Those are your basics. If the you are getting a dash warning about the intelli key, it is likely the battery in the fob needs to be replaced. There may be a reprogramming sequence to program the fob to the car once the battery is replaced, can't remember if this applies though.
  • You clearly, it seems, do not have the headlights set to AUTO if you are being alerted to switch them off. Mine are always set to AUTO and I hear no ding-a-ling when exiting the vehicle. However the lights will stay on for a short period of time after locking the doors and even longer if you don't lock the doors.
I too had a Mercedes before, although mine was a tad older (2002 W210, E320). That car was bare bones in comparison to what this Infiniti has. I am a part-time Valet and have driven almost every model Mercedes in production. They certainly do spoil their owners with creature comforts that you have to pay a premium upgrade charge for from other manufacturers. I don't know your reason for making the switch to Infiniti from Mercedes, but they are 2 different car makers. My advice is to wipe the expectation slate clean and study what your car does have to offer, only then will you be able to truly enjoy and embrace the machine you now have.

I may not have been a fraction of the help that others can provide from this forum, but I have learned a lot about my car from this forum and youtube. Again, if you are local, I would be happy to meet up and take a look at it with you.

I am located in Central Texas (Austin area)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,156 Posts
I've only been an owner for 5 days now on my 2016 Q50 3.0t Premium. Several little things are getting on my nerves, love the car, just think some of these things should have been addressed by Infiniti. If this has been already discussed to death, tell me to shut the FU. I am a new member, and still wet behind the ears on this forum. I just jumped ship from Mercedes after 10 years, they do some things right, as Infiniti does some things right.

• the trunk lid will not open easily, why bother having struts when they do not assist in opening, plus it SLAMS shut
  • the interior is So dark at night, there really needs to be some low level lighting, especially in the footwells.
  • why can't I open the rear doors from the outside (even when vehicle is unlocked? I read through the manual and went through online settings. If there is a setting, it's not easy to find. Sometimes it will open.
  • I've been using smart keys for about 15 years, this one is really different and have not figured it out yet. Also, the system keeps telling me to turn on the intelligent key!?!?!?? Again, went through settings, seems like it's on.
  • AUTO setting on the headlights, they've been around forever, I love this feature, when I park and open the door (with the switch in the auto position), the car dings at me telling me the headlights are left on.
I've only had the car since Saturday (4 days) and so far these little things are getting on my nerves.

Why is this in the Electronics/Audio/Lighting subforum?

• Memorize that the trunk button is under the middle 'N'
  • Mine is like this too. I've read that the hood and trunk shocks do wear out. So I am not sure if this is how it should be or if the shocks are worn out. As long as the trunk stays open, I'm pretty happy. I like the 'slam feature' because I can lower my trunk to a few inches and let go.
  • I added footwell lighting to my car but it's not on all the time. It comes on with the other dome lights when the door opens. I suppose you could add some footwell lighting that comes on with the headlights. I also have those lighted cupholder inserts which are cool but the charge doesn't last long enough so I go weeks with them dead.
  • Obviously car doors should open when unlocked so this must be an issue with your car.
  • What is confusing about the smart key? The thing doesn't even have to come out of your pocket, what's not to love?
  • I haven't used the Auto headlight feature yet.
Good luck! Hopefully you can work some issues out and get used to some others.

·
Registered
31 Posts

2. You may need to replace the trunk struts. I had to on my 2014 when I got it a year ago. Quite a few threads on that in the forum with part numbers or links to Amazon, which is where I got my replacement struts.

3. Second thing I did was to replace the cabin light bulbs with LED ones (with the exception of the overhead console map light, which are soldered in). Again plenty of threads on how and where to buy. Cost me around $20 and 30 mins to replace all of them.

4. Check if the child lock switch is fully in the off position. When I got the car one of the rear doors had issues opening from the outside because the switch was in the middle between the on/off position. Lots of settings for the key fob and how the car reacts to being in park/engine off. I spent a couple of hours going over all the setting to get everything right (for me). My car unlocks all the doors by pressing the key fob unlock button, placing the car in park, and when it senses my hand in the front door handles (wish it did it on the rears).

5. I deleted the profiles from the previous owner and setup my own. Solved a whole bunch of key fob and cellphone pairing issues. Worth a shot.

6. As Bondiamnot said make sure that the headlight switch is in the Auto position. I've never had it ding at me in Auto. May warrant a visit to the dealer if this is happening.

Not crazy about the search functionality with the new website design, but tons of info in older threads.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
If I had a Premium, my gripes would be nothing like yours.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,126 Posts
You can set all doors to unlock with the Intelligent Key.

Menu > Settings > Vehicle > Selective Door Unlock (When this is turned off, all doors will unlock)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

It seems like your list is mostly just things you haven't fully figured out yet with the car.
  • I actually find the trunk open button very easy to find. Sounds like a simple item you'll just get used to.
  • I actually like the trunk struts the way they are. Here is why. I have no problem lifting the very lightweight trunk open. The struts were likely designed as lift-assist - not for lifting on their own. The best thing about them is that for closing you DON'T have to put your grimy fingerprints on the trunk lid to close and you certainly don't need to slam it. There is a hand grab on the inside of the trunk toward the passenger side. Grab that and pull the trunk down to the point where it will start to fall on its own and just let go. Perfect, soft closure, without any grimy fingerprints!
  • The Q50 is/was offered with interior ambient lighting as an option. Sounds like you don't have that feature.
  • I don't understand your issue with the rear doors, but as Avedis mentioned, this is likely a setting you need to change or you might be doing something incorrectly. For instance, I had to learn that with the settings I have if I want to unlock all doors, I must touch the front door handle and while maintaining that touch press the button on the handle.
  • Your issues with the I-key sound like a setup issue. I haven't had any problems with mine. You might want to read the manual in detail about that to be sure you've done everything correctly

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,126 Posts
RTFM!

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
Reactions: Q602B

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
RTFM - Read The F'in(g) Manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How about STFF? Search the f'ing forum...

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, just as I was going to post good things about this forum. I see its no different than any other. I have read the manual, watched YT videos and searched this site. There are some nice people out there who have helped me with some issues. Maybe I'm a little too old to be part of this group. I'm only 55, I've been a mainframe Systems Engineer for many years, and have retired. So I know my way around technology, I guess I'm just not as smart as you all. Yes, moving from a German Benz to a Jap Infiniti has been a bit of a learning curve. I do apologize for bothering you.

Just another thing before I leave, please don't take my post as a personal attack, I get defending your car, I'm the same way, but there is no need for a personal attack, just move on. My ignorance was not to offend you. I have learned so much via these forums, from Harley Davidson, Mercedes, and what I thought would be Infiniti. At this point, I will just turn and walk away.

UPDATE: I did just return from an Infiniti dealership, I took my car in for a recall. They did reprogram my key and reset some items in my car (without bashing me). Most items have been addressed, of course learning to open the trunk and seeing in the dark are on me.

IMG_4298.jpeg

While there, I checked out this baby!

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
Wow, just as I was going to post good things about this forum. I see its no different than any other. I have read the manual, watched YT videos and searched this site. There are some nice people out there who have helped me with some issues. Maybe I'm a little too old to be part of this group. I'm only 55, I've been a mainframe Systems Engineer for many years, and have retired. So I know my way around technology, I guess I'm just not as smart as you all. Yes, moving from a German Benz to a Jap Infiniti has been a bit of a learning curve. I do apologize for bothering you.

Just another thing before I leave, please don't take my post as a personal attack, I get defending your car, I'm the same way, but there is no need for a personal attack, just move on. My ignorance was not to offend you. I have learned so much via these forums, from Harley Davidson, Mercedes, and what I thought would be Infiniti. At this point, I will just turn and walk away.

UPDATE: I did just return from an Infiniti dealership, I took my car in for a recall. They did reprogram my key and reset some items in my car (without bashing me). Most items have been addressed, of course learning to open the trunk and seeing in the dark are on me.

View attachment 90371
While there, I checked out this baby!
T4T,

Yeah, nice car.... it's just missing a few doors. :p

Hey, I think you got offended too easily. I think most replies where there to help you. There are some good replies. And the acronym is just metal head's way of joking around. Don't be offended and of course you are welcome to stay! I hope you decide to stick around. Enjoy your car. You'll become a pro at knowing exactly where to land your finger under the N for the trunk button every time - in no time. ;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,338 Posts
Have anything else to add?
I'd prefer you not leave and give this place another chance.

I think I can tell which posts you were alluding to, and I can assure you they were in jest (and long a staple of car forums everywhere...virtually a cliché) knowing who made them.

A lot of us here are older than you (I'm 62) and regardless of what some members might say, we are a bunch of harmless old men trying to get a chuckle out of one another and mean no real harm to anyone. Good natured ribbing and a lot of self deprecating humor can be found. You want to see some truly vile personalities, go to a drag racing forum called yellowbullet.com - this place is like church compared to that.

I truly hope you can see to give us another chance. I realize the urge to post up simple questions seems innocent enough, but I learned long ago (and forums ago) to search the owners manual first for a lot of my queries. Some aspects of this car are confusing as hell, especially in the first few days, so just give it a little time. If you didn't receive an owners manual (there are two actually) they can be downloaded from Infiniti's web site. If you did get the manuals, an electronic version is a lot easier and faster to search on a computer for what you are looking for. Car forums give new members much more respect if they first try to help themselves.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,126 Posts
- StrongArm trunk lifts will solve your trunk lid problem.

- If you want to brighten the interior lighting, replace all interior non-LED bulbs with 5000K LEDs. The map lights suck but you can't replace them with a brighter LED bulb.

- The setting for changing the selective door unlock that I described above in post #6 is shown on page 8-25 of your InTouch Manual.

- You need to register your Intelligent Key if you haven't done so already (starting on page 8-30 of your InTouch Manual) You should turn on the Intelligent Key Link function (Page 8-32 of your InTouch Manual).

- You can adjust how long the automatic headlights stay on (0-180 seconds) after turning the ignition off and closing the door. Default is 45 seconds. (Page 2-36 of the Owner's Manual and Page 8-24 of the InTouch Manual). You can also adjust the sensitivity of the Auto Light function (Page 8-24 of the InTouch Manual). When I turn on the automatic headlights (headlight switch set to "AUTO"), then shut the car off, get out and lock the door, the headlights turn off in 45 seconds. There is no dinging when the headlight switch is set to "AUTO". There is dinging if the headlight switch is not set to "AUTO" but is set to position "2" on the switch. (Page 2-35 of your Owner's Manual).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know what, in general, I am a thinned skin person, not one of my better qualities. I'm walking with a cane and had just fallen coming in the house, I had total hip replacement surgery 2 weeks ago, and I'm tired of dealing with it. I had more bad news from the Infiniti dealer which pushed me further over the edge.
I'm sure you guys have heard of Carvana by now. Well, this is where I got my Infiniti, as of now, they have been excellent to deal with. When at the dealership today, I asked if they could look into a strange thumping sound, It's been driving me nuts the 4 days I've had this car. So they found the issue and then some. They said they can't be 100% sure it was not in an accident previously. Someone did something back there on the underside, the welds of the brackets are so out of place, they used different size bolts in each hole. The dealer said they couldn't even get them to line up. They took some pictures for me and documented everything. Oh, to top it off, the dealer mentioned to me that the car did not have run-flats as advertised. Im unable to utilize SXM Traffic, weather, etc. because the account is not unlocked to the vehicle. InTouch does not work, I registered, they checked, said it looks good, but I am not able to access it via the car or web or app. I'm just tired of calling them, just to tell me my account is registered, thats all they can do.

This is the first used car I've ever bought, it felt really good knowing someone else paid all of that depreciation instead me, but know I'm wondering.

I'll deal with them tomorrow. The question is, what do I do. I will get a choice of vehicle in the same price bracket, but I really fell in love with this car.

In the future, I promise not to post such long posts. Peace Out!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 183 Posts