Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking forward to getting the Q50 and since I love modding cars, I would love to know what mods will you be doing to your Q50?

For me im thinking of:
- Tint
- Camber Kit(so I can maximize the size and really get my wheels flush)
- 20" Vossen CV7 or 19" Vossen CV3
- Coilovers (something from Bilstein or like Tein Comfort Sport but im not sure if that will affect the ability to control any car settings in terms of dampening/performance)
- BBK(Depends on how stock performs and how big the calipers are)
- Some interior lighting mods (Dont really like it yellow so I would maybe try to make everything white but will first do the map light first)
- Clear Bra
- 3000K Bulbs for Fog Lights (If it can be changed)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Not going to go with BBK. Stock brakes are just fine.

Tints, rims and tires, coilovers, lighting upgrades, exhaust and intake.

Bilstein and Teins are in two different price categories. Unless Bilstein has a cheap option I am not aware of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The first thing I plan to do on the Q50 is the suspension for better looks and better handling. Not sure which brand I will be going with but I heard that KW is a good brand for both quality and performance, but not cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not going to go with BBK. Stock brakes are just fine.

Tints, rims and tires, coilovers, lighting upgrades, exhaust and intake.

Bilstein and Teins are in two different price categories. Unless Bilstein has a cheap option I am not aware of.
Depends on what Teins you get! Comfort Sports were about $1600 and thats without the EDFC and i think I was able to get a quote for Bilstein PSS9 or 10 for a little bit more! For a cheap option @ first though I went with some Tokico D-Spec Shocks and put in RSR Springs which suprisingly had the exact ride height I wanted and just had the right spring rate for me with adjustable dampening to compensate on the shocks!

The first thing I plan to do on the Q50 is the suspension for better looks and better handling. Not sure which brand I will be going with but I heard that KW is a good brand for both quality and performance, but not cheap.
I heard KWs were stiff so it was more for sport than comfort! Especially when comparing their spring rates against others! So far the Tein Comfort Sports were the one most vendors recommended me since I was looking for something that had basically the best of both worlds and with EDFC you can adjust your dampening from inside the car so less hassel!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I learned long time ago that it is not worth putting any money into a car..
I had a 2001 Acura Cl- Type-s with comptech headers, AEM intake, comptech xhaust, light flywheel, comptech tranny cooler eibach shocks and springs big brake kit.. The car had 10K in aftermarket pats and work done to it and I sold it for $2500 (the whole car) .. That was 3 months after putting $3K into rebuilding the tranny!!

Now I lease drive and give back!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I learned long time ago that it is not worth putting any money into a car..
I had a 2001 Acura Cl- Type-s with comptech headers, AEM intake, comptech xhaust, light flywheel, comptech tranny cooler eibach shocks and springs big brake kit.. The car had 10K in aftermarket pats and work done to it and I sold it for $2500 (the whole car) .. That was 3 months after putting $3K into rebuilding the tranny!!

Now I lease drive and give back!
I know what u mean man! I am @ the same situation right now but I still love modding! I dont mod much in the engine anymore but stuff like wheels can be sold separately! I just keep my stock wheels then slap them on as a spare, during winter or when its time to sell! Probably not gonna do any body kit mods anymore but camber kits and coilovers will be a must for me to get the wheels aligned right!

Reactions: Platinumv37

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing I'll probably do would be tints. Then follow by rims, 20 inches. Either some Forgestar F14s, HREs, or Volk Racing G25 wheels or the 57FXX. After the wheels, then decide about a lowering kit, followed by hids, if I don't like the factory option.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Depends on what Teins you get! Comfort Sports were about $1600 and thats without the EDFC and i think I was able to get a quote for Bilstein PSS9 or 10 for a little bit more! For a cheap option @ first though I went with some Tokico D-Spec Shocks and put in RSR Springs which suprisingly had the exact ride height I wanted and just had the right spring rate for me with adjustable dampening to compensate on the shocks!

I heard KWs were stiff so it was more for sport than comfort! Especially when comparing their spring rates against others! So far the Tein Comfort Sports were the one most vendors recommended me since I was looking for something that had basically the best of both worlds and with EDFC you can adjust your dampening from inside the car so less hassel!
I did not know Bilsteins were so cheap! I always thought Bilsteins and Ohlins and the like were all race ready suspension setups that reached over 10 grand.

I know when I was looking at some coilover systems I saw some Ohlins go for over 10k. Maybe they were just custom race setups.

If that is the case I'd go the Bilstein over Tein. For sure the dampers are better quality.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not know Bilsteins were so cheap! I always thought Bilsteins and Ohlins and the like were all race ready suspension setups that reached over 10 grand.

I know when I was looking at some coilover systems I saw some Ohlins go for over 10k. Maybe they were just custom race setups.

If that is the case I'd go the Bilstein over Tein. For sure the dampers are better quality.
Oh shoot! If that were the case i wouldnt even touch that man! Haha! But i didnt know they get that high up but they are surely quality coilovers!

These are the coils that I currently use actually:

Bilstein PSS9 Coilover System Infiniti G35 03-06

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would be interested in intake and exhaust mods. I've seen the G37 engine, which is the same one in the Q50, with an intake mod. I wonder if the Q50 is a true dual exhaust or just a dual to a single to a split to the mufflers. Well see.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have slowed down on modding myself, being quite busy @ work lately, but I still try to do whatever I can when I have the time! I just feel the satisfaction on being able to do something to my car by myself and having a unique car modded according to my own taste be in performance or cosmetic mods makes the car more special IMO!

Being that Im switching up to a sedan now, I will most likely limit my modding to something more family friendly! Wanna acheive a good balance in ride height and comfort, cleaning up the look of the car cosmetically and making it look a bit more sporty but not overly aggressive, and tuning the car to have that spurt of needed performance when I wanna feel the excitement/rush of driving on winding roads! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I won't be needing anything too fancy since the sport Q50 looks pretty nice out of the box already. I might just go with some aftermarket tints. Possibly get lowering springs to take away some of the wheel gap.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added to my mods:
- Clear Bra
- 3000K Bulbs for Fog Lights

Anyone have any recommended brands as far as clear bras go? This is going to be my first car that ill be putting one on since I dont think ill be getting an aftermarker front bumper! Im currently looking into 3M Venture Shield!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Added to my mods:
- Clear Bra
- 3000K Bulbs for Fog Lights

Anyone have any recommended brands as far as clear bras go? This is going to be my first car that ill be putting one on since I dont think ill be getting an aftermarker front bumper! Im currently looking into 3M Venture Shield!
Can't go wrong with 3m and the dealership will probably be equipped to install it as an option. Talk to them and see if they offer it and can roll it into the lease/purchase price.

Due to the newness of the shape, I would imagine 3M is still waiting for a development car to create templates from. May be a few months after release unless they work with manufacturers and get pre-production specs.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
a relatively quiet exhaust would be nice. Nothing too loud but just enough to bring out the growl.

New tires also make a world of difference. More grip = best mod ever.
Yeah man, new tires are always amazing. It's the only thing I really like to spend money on (car-wise) due to the instant gratification, and by the time you buy them, your ride quality is as bad as it's going to get, so it's always a night and day difference. :D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't go wrong with 3m and the dealership will probably be equipped to install it as an option. Talk to them and see if they offer it and can roll it into the lease/purchase price.

Due to the newness of the shape, I would imagine 3M is still waiting for a development car to create templates from. May be a few months after release unless they work with manufacturers and get pre-production specs.
Thanks for tge advice! Ill ask about that then! I was actually thinking @ first of getting rolls of the venture shield then just go to a place where they do vinyl wraps and just have them fit/cut the clear bra as suited!

Not sure though which would be a cheaper solution!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts