Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice is needed: even though it's my wife's car, I'm getting ready to trade her 2013 Accord V6 for one of the three cars mentioned. I live in a rural area and I don't have easy access to either a BMW, Infiniti, or Cadillac dealer, so I'm looking for something trouble free. I'm dumping the Honda because it's a rolling
testament to understeer and has perhaps the worst steering of any car I've owned in 47 years of driving. Also, I live in the sunbelt, so FWD or AWD isn't needed. That said, I've yet to drive any of the cars I'm interested in, but this will change soon. What I want is a car with balanced handling and
decent grunt (reliability would be nice as well). I've driven a G37, liked it, but didn't like the seats.

Based on reviews, the ATS has a lot going for it. The 2.0T appeals because it's always easy to wring out more performance with forced induction, and handling appears to be superb. The Q50 appeals because Nissan's cars don't break, and you can still get hydraulic steering on the lower trim models (I'm not interested in the drive-by-wire steering). Nissan's 3.7 V6 is also a proven motor. I've heard the F30 BMW has gone soft in some respects, but Bimmer suspensions are usually sublime. The 328i is down on HP compared to the other cars, plus you have to pay extra for the BMW cachet--it's not a great value. But for maintenance though, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3.

So, your candor is needed. If I pop for the Q50, am I getting a driver's car? Is it a good value or is it overpriced? How are the seats?

TIA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Advice is needed: even though it's my wife's car, I'm getting ready to trade her 2013 Accord V6 for one of the three cars mentioned. I live in a rural area and I don't have easy access to either a BMW, Infiniti, or Cadillac dealer, so I'm looking for something trouble free. I'm dumping the Honda because it's a rolling
testament to understeer and has perhaps the worst steering of any car I've owned in 47 years of driving. Also, I live in the sunbelt, so FWD or AWD isn't needed. That said, I've yet to drive any of the cars I'm interested in, but this will change soon. What I want is a car with balanced handling and
decent grunt (reliability would be nice as well). I've driven a G37, liked it, but didn't like the seats.

Based on reviews, the ATS has a lot going for it. The 2.0T appeals because it's always easy to wring out more performance with forced induction, and handling appears to be superb. The Q50 appeals because Nissan's cars don't break, and you can still get hydraulic steering on the lower trim models (I'm not interested in the drive-by-wire steering). Nissan's 3.7 V6 is also a proven motor. I've heard the F30 BMW has gone soft in some respects, but Bimmer suspensions are usually sublime. The 328i is down on HP compared to the other cars, plus you have to pay extra for the BMW cachet--it's not a great value. But for maintenance though, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3.

So, your candor is needed. If I pop for the Q50, am I getting a driver's car? Is it a good value or is it overpriced? How are the seats?

TIA
you understand you're asking this in a forum for the q50 so what answer do you expect. If I didn't like the Q50, I wouldn't have bought it.

I didn't test drive the ATS (didn't appeal to me). the 328 is not really comparable to a q50 base on price/value.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The easiest way to make this decision would be to drive all the cars, but you did state you are quite far from dealers...

You are also forgetting about the new Lexus IS350....its said to be quite the driver's car....unless it is out of the question due to its looks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you understand you're asking this in a forum for the q50 so what answer do you expect.
Understood, but people often have buyer's remorse. If so, what better place to hear it. If someone were trying to decide between a Fusion, Altima, or an Accord V6 on a Honda forum, I would be the first to tell them that the '13 Accord V6 is the antithesis of a driver's car.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
To be honest, I think they're all fantastic cars! I love my Q50, even with some of the inTouch bugs Infiniti is currently working to fix. If you get the BMW, I'd go for the 335i instead of the 328i.

Reactions: JR69

·
Registered
65 Posts
Understood, but people often have buyer's remorse. If so, what better place to hear it. If someone were trying to decide between a Fusion, Altima, or an Accord V6 on a Honda forum, I would be the first to tell them that the '13 Accord V6 is the antithesis of a driver's car.
good point. No remorse here, but then I knew beforehand the Q50 is not the perfect car (none is). But it does many things well, and the wife likes it.

The new Lexus IS350 (or IS250) against the 328 is worth looking at too. I test drove the Lexus and the Audi before settling on the q50.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, I think they're all fantastic cars! I love my Q50, even with some of the inTouch bugs Infiniti is currently working to fix. If you get the BMW, I'd go for the 335i instead of the 328i.
I'd much prefer BMW's smooth and powerful inline 6 on the 335i to the 4 banger on the 328i. It's not on my short list because of its price. I need to stay in the low forties. Can't do that with a 335i. It's a challenge to stay in the low forties with the 328i.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
the 328 is not really comparable to a q50 base on price/value.
Wuh? It's a direct competitor. It's not quite as fast as the Q50 but it's lighter and it definitely falls in the same price range. I would definitely consider it.

Hey UncleSpud, welcome!

I haven't test driven the Q50 yet (however, I did sit in one briefly), but check out my reviews of the Audi A5, Cadillac ATS V6 and the Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Have you ever thought about the Volvo S60 R-Design, Lincoln MKZ, or Mercedes Benz C300? What about a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec sedan?

I know you live in a rural area, but if you plan on having your car for a long time (i.e., 10 years---try and get your hands on as many of the cars in this price point and competitive segment as you can and test them out)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
If interior space is important, the Caddy will be the smallest of the bunch, especially the back seat.

Nissan V6 reliability it the big reason why I picked the Q50 over the 3er or Audi A4.

And the Q50 offers a very compelling value compared to the competition, IMO.

Only thing i can say, especially after your experience with the Accord, is to test drive all of them and decide what you (or more importantly, your wife) like best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good point. No remorse here, but then I knew beforehand the Q50 is not the perfect car (none is). But it does many things well, and the wife likes it.

The new Lexus IS350 (or IS250) against the 328 is worth looking at too. I test drove the Lexus and the Audi before settling on the q50.
The A4 is a nice car, but I live in the sunbelt, so I really don't need (or like) FWD/AWD, and I can't get past the Lexus' looks. I think the Q50 is a beautiful car, and Nissan's reputation for building cars that don't break is appealing. The looks of the ATS are problematic for me as well, as is GM's reputation for spotty build quality. I really like BMWs--but for maintenance, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3. The high price of admission and the long term cost of keeping Bimmers alive give me pause.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The A4 is a nice car, but I live in the sunbelt, so I really don't need (or like) FWD/AWD, and I can't get past the Lexus' looks. I think the Q50 is a beautiful car, and Nissan's reputation for building cars that don't break is appealing. The looks of the ATS are problematic for me as well, as is GM's reputation for spotty build quality. I really like BMWs--but for maintenance, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3. The high price of admission and the long term cost of keeping Bimmers alive give me pause.
Can't go wrong with either one. It might just come down to which one your wife likes better really. One thing to consider is if you're Leasing, the BMW might be better given the free service and the warranty will expire as you end the lease and turn it in. The infiniti may be easier to take care of long term if buying, and the lease rates right now leave something to be desired.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmmm, so you care more about looks and reputation more than the driving experience/performance? Just making sure I'm getting the gist correct. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm a current G37 owner and owned 3 E36 BMW (325i, M3 3.0 and 3.2). Based
on my short test drives of the cars you have mentioned, plus the IS350, I think
the Lexus would be the best for you. That is if you can live with the horrendous
front end (in the F Sport). The seats are sublime, great steering, decent acceleration and proven reliability.
The Infiniti is better looking, faster but it feels heavier (its not) compared to the Lexus.
It steers very well the with hydraulic steering, transmission is an improvment over the G37 but not as good as the BMW
or the Lexus.
The Caddy is unrefined, cramped and needs a new transmission.

Finally, the BMW is a great rear wheel drive Accord (with similar steering feel)... I miss my E36s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmm, so you care more about looks and reputation more than the driving experience/performance? Just making sure I'm getting the gist correct. ;)
For heaven's sake, give me a break. If I'm going to be making payments for six years, I'd rather be driving something I think is attractive. I'm not asking you to agree with my aesthetic preferences. I've listed the three cars that have piqued my interest, all chosen because of good driving dynamics. Sorry, I just can't warm up the IS 350's front grille. My beef with the A4: FWD or AWD neither of which are desired since I live in the desert. Then there's the A4's CVT (assuming you can live with FWD) or Quattro's understeer if you can't. There's also VW/Audi's ubiquitous 2.0 4-banger which makes less power than any of the cars I'm considering. Pretty car, but I'm not interested.

Bottom line: if I had the coin, I'd be looking at either a 335i or a 550i. If I weren't looking for a sedan for my wife, and price being no object, I'd get a Cayman S. As it is,the Q50 is an attractive sports sedan that I hear drives well and is within my budget.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Haha Looks is definitely important (or we would have bought the S4). If you're gonna drive it, buy something you like looking at. I was in the same boat... I thought I could live with the new IS look (I like the grill), but the offset "nike" light looks too odd to me.

Wife did not like the S4's look and likes the Q50 best, so there we have it.

Engine from the G37 is proven to be reliable (lower maintenance than the bimmer) and lots of fancy tech in the new Q50. I know of the InTouch issues from folks like Q50Aggie, but trust Infiniti to fix them. So I went ahead with the purchase.

To stay within your budget, the 335 is not a competitor as I already stated no matter what anyone says. IS250 is a good alternative, but you don't like the look.

If you're spending 40K, maybe make a road trip to visit Infiniti to test drive.

Also don't forget the Acura TL. I know you don't like the Accord, but some folks have said good things about the TL too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For heaven's sake, give me a break. If I'm going to be making payments for six years, I'd rather be driving something I think is attractive.
lol. I know where you're coming from - I'm pretty much the same way. FYI, I drive a 10-year-old Acura TL, and for the past 3-4 years I've been waiting to buy a car and for a while, it was a toss-up among the ATS, the Q50, and the IS 350. I still haven't completely kicked the IS out, but I don't care for the boy racer looks as much, and am not a huge fan of the interior. This left the ATS and the Q50, so :

Even though I wanted to buy the 2.0T ATS, they only had a 3.6 model available when they first came out, so I drove one. The performance/handling of the car (and probably the 2.0T) is more than any average human driver that wants some performance would need. The car looks awesome - it's the best looking car in the class, IMO. The design is so classy with the vertical LED lights (which aren't on all the editions of the ATS, btw, so beware. I think you have to get the Luxury or Performance edition at least to get them). Unlike others, the interior looked great to me. The dash is the exception - it looks kind of dated and blah for a car in this class. The CUE system was a PITA to deal with initially, but they have released updates as the months went on, so I don't know if it's been improved.

The biggest knocks I have on the ATS are the following :

-- Nearly non-existent trunk. It's only around 10 cubic feet.
-- The rear seats are worthless. There's hardly any room back there for adult passengers. I wouldn't want to sit there on any long trip.
-- Following the car for months, I realized that quality control wasn't up-to-par. Many people were having electronics problems, losing power steering as they drove, seats moving around, repeated trips to the dealership for multiple things. Other people didn't have those problems even though they bought the car around the same time as the people with problems.
-- Gas mileage many people were getting on the 2.0T was nowhere near the EPA estimated mileage. If you didn't drive aggressively, you may hit the mileage, you may not. If you drove aggressively, well... good luck - instead of 20mpg in the city, you may be getting 14-15. MPGs were all over the map.

For the reliability, trunk, and mileage reasons, I decided not to get the ATS. I need good mileage and I need a car that will be relatively reliable for at least 120,000 - 200,000+ miles since I drive like a maniac. It was tough deciding not to get the car since I think people were getting the car for at least $4000-$6000 off of MSRP on the 2013 models recently. This was due to dealers preparing to sell the new 2014's.

I haven't test driven the Q50 simply because I want to test the InTouch system/nav when I do the test drive and I'm waiting to see if they fix the bugs with the update supposedly coming this month. In case you didn't known, the biggest knock on the Q50 in these forums from early adopters has been the lockups of the InTouch system while driving. Many have to perform a "reboot" of the system or, if that doesn't work, stop the car, restart it, and pray that works. Speaking for myself, it's tough to buy the car with this still an issue. I will use the heck out of that center console - it needs to work and it needs to not aggravate my long trips. :)

I love the Q50's styling from the front and quarter angles. The only thing a bit bland about the Q50 is the rear end. Too Hyundai Sonata-ish or something. That being said, it won't stop me from buying the car. The interior of the car is great. I've sat in one (again, haven't test driven one) and loved the interior. Even if you get the "fake leather" instead of the real leather, it's not bad at all. The center stack layout is gorgeous, and the buttons placed on the side sides of the screens is great, too. I've always thought that in terms of user interface design, a touchscreen has to be perfectly laid out otherwise you're doing more harm than good by requiring users to go into menus and sub-menus to get to something they could easily click with a button. Infiniti probably has some issues with this as well, but at least they didn't go full-on stupid and make the whole car touch-enabled. I'm sure the engine in the Q50 is reliable - the VQ engine has been around for a while now, and it's basically the same powerplant that was in the G. Unlike Caddy slamming a new 2.0T into their new chassis, for some reason, I have more faith in the Infiniti. Speaking as a Honda/Acura driver, I've watched Infiniti/Nissan's reliability ratings fall off a bit in various articles I've read in the past. I don't know how reliable those are, but when CEO Carlos Ghosn says they have to improve quality to compete in the premium car segment and then they lay a software egg like the InTouch system's initial release in the Q50, you have to wonder if he's cringing ...

I would've bought another Acura TL after owning my current one for 225,000 miles and seeing how reliable it's been, but the 4th generation Acura looked like a snapping turtle when it was released thanks to the bulldozer grille they put on it and the mileage isn't the greatest. They've since "fixed" the grille. It just seems like too much of a boat of a car, too, after having driven it. In its SH-AWD form, it's a beast on the track, but the new Acura TLX or whatever it will be called will be coming out by Spring or Summer of next year, and I don't want to pay for yesteryear's tech. As a matter of fact, although the interior may not be quite as good, I'd probably prefer the new Honda Accord over the FWD TL. That being said, people are getting great deals on the TL's right now.

Audi and BMW were never on my radar. I need a better history of reliability and more bang-for-the-buck than they offer for the things I want in a vehicle, or at least are perceived to offer. I want to see my car more than my service department does. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Get her a Q50 Hybrid Sport and you're golden, unless she hauls lots of groceries, in that case a non-Hybrid has a bigger trunk.

Also take a look at the 2013 GS 350's. Bigger than the IS350 and not as crazy looking, large, excellent interior, F Sport gives you decent HP and mileage, and it's RWD. They may still have leasing incentives (I know you said you're buying) as well as the first month paid by Lexus FS. It's a big car that knows how to shrink with the F Sport package installed and they should be heavily discounted now...rumor is the 2014 model is due out in November with minor changes, if any.

Skip the BMW, reliability is crap for rural living. Skip the Audi too since they're only available in wrong wheel drive or 4wd.

I gotta say though, I see some conflict of interest here. You're buying it for your wife but want it to have sporty balance and handling. This isn't one of those Christmas presents you buy for a friend for yourself is it? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm most appreciative for all the feedback and suggestions I've received. It sounds like many of you cross-shopped the same cars I'm considering. I hope to test drive the Q next week. Reliability-wise, I know that the Caddy and the BMW's aren't the equals of the Infiniti.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.