Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Which car to buy: Q50, Caddy ATS, or 328i?

21K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  brianch 
#1 ·
Advice is needed: even though it's my wife's car, I'm getting ready to trade her 2013 Accord V6 for one of the three cars mentioned. I live in a rural area and I don't have easy access to either a BMW, Infiniti, or Cadillac dealer, so I'm looking for something trouble free. I'm dumping the Honda because it's a rolling
testament to understeer and has perhaps the worst steering of any car I've owned in 47 years of driving. Also, I live in the sunbelt, so FWD or AWD isn't needed. That said, I've yet to drive any of the cars I'm interested in, but this will change soon. What I want is a car with balanced handling and
decent grunt (reliability would be nice as well). I've driven a G37, liked it, but didn't like the seats.

Based on reviews, the ATS has a lot going for it. The 2.0T appeals because it's always easy to wring out more performance with forced induction, and handling appears to be superb. The Q50 appeals because Nissan's cars don't break, and you can still get hydraulic steering on the lower trim models (I'm not interested in the drive-by-wire steering). Nissan's 3.7 V6 is also a proven motor. I've heard the F30 BMW has gone soft in some respects, but Bimmer suspensions are usually sublime. The 328i is down on HP compared to the other cars, plus you have to pay extra for the BMW cachet--it's not a great value. But for maintenance though, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3.

So, your candor is needed. If I pop for the Q50, am I getting a driver's car? Is it a good value or is it overpriced? How are the seats?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
Advice is needed: even though it's my wife's car, I'm getting ready to trade her 2013 Accord V6 for one of the three cars mentioned. I live in a rural area and I don't have easy access to either a BMW, Infiniti, or Cadillac dealer, so I'm looking for something trouble free. I'm dumping the Honda because it's a rolling
testament to understeer and has perhaps the worst steering of any car I've owned in 47 years of driving. Also, I live in the sunbelt, so FWD or AWD isn't needed. That said, I've yet to drive any of the cars I'm interested in, but this will change soon. What I want is a car with balanced handling and
decent grunt (reliability would be nice as well). I've driven a G37, liked it, but didn't like the seats.

Based on reviews, the ATS has a lot going for it. The 2.0T appeals because it's always easy to wring out more performance with forced induction, and handling appears to be superb. The Q50 appeals because Nissan's cars don't break, and you can still get hydraulic steering on the lower trim models (I'm not interested in the drive-by-wire steering). Nissan's 3.7 V6 is also a proven motor. I've heard the F30 BMW has gone soft in some respects, but Bimmer suspensions are usually sublime. The 328i is down on HP compared to the other cars, plus you have to pay extra for the BMW cachet--it's not a great value. But for maintenance though, I'd still be driving my long gone '98 E36 M3.

So, your candor is needed. If I pop for the Q50, am I getting a driver's car? Is it a good value or is it overpriced? How are the seats?

TIA
you understand you're asking this in a forum for the q50 so what answer do you expect. If I didn't like the Q50, I wouldn't have bought it.

I didn't test drive the ATS (didn't appeal to me). the 328 is not really comparable to a q50 base on price/value.

#4 ·
you understand you're asking this in a forum for the q50 so what answer do you expect.
Understood, but people often have buyer's remorse. If so, what better place to hear it. If someone were trying to decide between a Fusion, Altima, or an Accord V6 on a Honda forum, I would be the first to tell them that the '13 Accord V6 is the antithesis of a driver's car.

#5 ·
To be honest, I think they're all fantastic cars! I love my Q50, even with some of the inTouch bugs Infiniti is currently working to fix. If you get the BMW, I'd go for the 335i instead of the 328i.

Reactions: JR69
#7 ·
I'd much prefer BMW's smooth and powerful inline 6 on the 335i to the 4 banger on the 328i. It's not on my short list because of its price. I need to stay in the low forties. Can't do that with a 335i. It's a challenge to stay in the low forties with the 328i.

#9 ·
If interior space is important, the Caddy will be the smallest of the bunch, especially the back seat.

Nissan V6 reliability it the big reason why I picked the Q50 over the 3er or Audi A4.

And the Q50 offers a very compelling value compared to the competition, IMO.

Only thing i can say, especially after your experience with the Accord, is to test drive all of them and decide what you (or more importantly, your wife) like best.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm a current G37 owner and owned 3 E36 BMW (325i, M3 3.0 and 3.2). Based
on my short test drives of the cars you have mentioned, plus the IS350, I think
the Lexus would be the best for you. That is if you can live with the horrendous
front end (in the F Sport). The seats are sublime, great steering, decent acceleration and proven reliability.
The Infiniti is better looking, faster but it feels heavier (its not) compared to the Lexus.
It steers very well the with hydraulic steering, transmission is an improvment over the G37 but not as good as the BMW
or the Lexus.
The Caddy is unrefined, cramped and needs a new transmission.

Finally, the BMW is a great rear wheel drive Accord (with similar steering feel)... I miss my E36s.

#18 ·
Get her a Q50 Hybrid Sport and you're golden, unless she hauls lots of groceries, in that case a non-Hybrid has a bigger trunk.

Also take a look at the 2013 GS 350's. Bigger than the IS350 and not as crazy looking, large, excellent interior, F Sport gives you decent HP and mileage, and it's RWD. They may still have leasing incentives (I know you said you're buying) as well as the first month paid by Lexus FS. It's a big car that knows how to shrink with the F Sport package installed and they should be heavily discounted now...rumor is the 2014 model is due out in November with minor changes, if any.

Skip the BMW, reliability is crap for rural living. Skip the Audi too since they're only available in wrong wheel drive or 4wd.

I gotta say though, I see some conflict of interest here. You're buying it for your wife but want it to have sporty balance and handling. This isn't one of those Christmas presents you buy for a friend for yourself is it? ;)

#19 ·
I'm most appreciative for all the feedback and suggestions I've received. It sounds like many of you cross-shopped the same cars I'm considering. I hope to test drive the Q next week. Reliability-wise, I know that the Caddy and the BMW's aren't the equals of the Infiniti.

#24 ·
UncleSpud, I cross-shopped all of those vehicles as well. I once has an E46 M3 and wish I still did, but to find a car with those driving dynamic and fantastic motor is a tough one, even in this day and age, of course unless you have a money tree in your yard.

I have the Hybrid S and coming from many drivers cars I would say that it's a decent compromise. My last car was an Acura TL SH-AWD 6sp. As big as it felt it was a very good drivers car. The manual gearbox was one of the best I've ever driven, so don't count out the new TLX that will be coming out.

The IS might be a slightly better drivers car but for me it just doesn't have the same "mature" look of the Q, IMO of course. And I like the grill.

The BMW's are nice cars, more utilitarian in their style but if you want a drivers car then you really would need to step up to the 335.

The Audi S4 is a really nice and fast car but I think it's overpriced. It is fast though and handles great.

I liked the ATS as well but hatted the dials in the car and could live looking at them all day. Not to mention the rear seats are cramped. I think Caddy has something going for them and unless they screw it up will be more of a contender with the sports car folks in the years to come.

I know you're test driving the Q50, test drive a hybrid and gas back to back to feel the difference. I actually preferred the slightly smoother gas motor but the hybrid is intoxicatingly fast and you can't beat the gas mileage.

Good luck and keep us informed.

#21 ·
The Q50 in my opinion is the car you should go with. After test driving the gs350 bmw335 I still think the Q50 with all it's features and g37 history make it the car for me!

Infiniti will fix the InTouch problems! They know that if they don't they will lose 60% of its loyalty. The q50 looks soooooooo much better than the BMW and Lexus when rolling side by side. And as you already know the reliability with Infiniti will be there.M

Anyways, good luck with your cross shop! Let us know when you buy the q50!

#29 · (Edited)
That sounds like something you can say about any automaker. I'm also not sure if there's a direct connection to a single car's design "age" and that automaker's general design theme and how it ages.

I think you can have many exceptions where that doesn't apply. It makes more sense to look at it strictly on a car by car basis.

#27 ·
Q50 is 90% a drivers car stock. The other 10% would be lack of manual transmission, less body roll, better tires and louder exhaust note. 3 of those 4 can be added in the short future. :D

#31 · (Edited)
335i > Q50 3.7 > ATS > 328i
But 335i is too expensive. Q50 3.7 will be the best deal. Don't worry about lexus IS. Although many media and lexus fanboys are talking about how superior the IS's handling is and how refined their 3.5 V6 is, but all tracking number show one thing, despite the smaller size, IS still can't corner as good as Q50, and G37 is better than both Q50 and IS. In addition, lexus's 3.5 V6 really lacks power. The 3G IS was supposed to be a driver's car, but in fact, it even lost to a compromising car, what a shame.

So, if you have enough money, go to German. Otherwise, stay with Q50.

#32 ·
335i > Q50 3.7 > ATS > 328i
But 335i is too expensive. Q50 3.7 will be the best deal. Don't worry about lexus IS. Although many media and lexus fanboys are talking about how superior the IS's handling is and how refined their 3.5 V6 is, but all tracking number show one thing, despite the smaller size, IS still can't corner as good as Q50, and G37 is better than both Q50 and IS. In addition, lexus's 3.5 V6 really lacks power. The 3G IS was supposed to be a driver's car, but in fact, it even lost to a compromising car, what a shame.

So, if you have enough money, go to German. Otherwise, stay with Q50.
Where'd you get this idea?

Sensing more biased opinions here...maybe it's just me..

I've driven all those cars with the exception of the Q50 and I'd put the IS350 ahead of the ATS and the 328.

#40 ·
Uh, no. The Q30 and Q40 are slotted in under the Q50 and are expected to cost less and use the same or smaller drivetrains. The G37 is the current entry level vehicle but with CUV sales in NA rising annually Infiniti is desperate to cash in on this market but price point matters. The Q30, by my estimation, will start just north of 30k.

#43 ·
Afrosheen is right. The Q30 is the true successor of G37, the driver-oriented car of Infiniti. So, it's not far to compare Q50 with IS. And given the steer-by-wire and larger size, Q50's handling doesn't lose to IS completely.

I think I just get upset that people keep talking about how good the IS is for its money and function while it is not. So, if I offend you Simpson, I need to apologize for that. It seems I lost my temper during the discussion.:(

#46 ·
Wasn't it mentioned that on the track, the Q50 did perform well--the issue was its steering and suspension during normal everyday driving...That's what I recall. The lack of an adaptive suspension has definitely been a knock against it. I'm not saying that the suspension is bad---only that I've seen a common thread on it as a criticism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.