Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this in the right place; if not, apologies. I wanted to get others' thoughts on the topic. Why did YOU choose the q50?

This car has been an interesting journey for me. I haven't driven many sports sedans; my first car was an Accord Coupe, which had a go-kart feel to it. My second car was an indestructible Toyota Camry, which saw its fair share of abuse. Neither had great 1/4 mile times, superb handling, or a luxurious feel. To be honest, the q50 doesn't appear to have any of those things either.

At first glance, the car stock looks a little bit.... bland. The chrome accents lends the car to appeal to an older, more refined generation of drivers. The stock suspension sits the car a little high. The stock turbos are tiny. The exhaust tone.. well, it leaves something to be desired. It's far and away not the fastest car in existence. My 2016 didn't even come with Android Auto. The stock wheels are 17x7.5. When you go WOT, the car takes off and brings you to 60 mph in a respectable 5ish seconds, but the cushiony leather seats and soft suspension doesn't give you complete feedback on how fast you're really going.

All of that aside, I've found that I've fallen in love with this car. Somehow, through all of its (subjective) flaws, I've taken a strong liking to this car. So what is it? I've spent the last 6 months pondering this question day in and day out. I've driven a brand new Corvette, a supercharged Audi S4, Porches, and test drove numerous eco-friendly consumer vehicles. But I wouldn't trade my car for any of them.

Here's the bottom line. Every time I step into this car, I feel that it does everything its meant to do. No more, no less. It gives me an honest thrill in sport mode. When I put it into eco mode, I can cruise along with traffic relatively unnoticed. When I stretch my legs out and breathe a sigh of relief after work, the cushiony leather seats give me a certain comfort and homey feel. When I take corners in spirited driving, the tires break loose, but only just enough to feel a little rush. When I want to enjoy my music, my 11 Bose speakers are enough to make me smile. When I walk into the garage in the morning and take a moment to appreciate the car, it becomes a little less about everything that could have been done with the car and more about what this car is supposed to be.

Is the q50 the fastest car? No.
Is the q50 the most luxurious car? No.
Does the q50 have every feature you'd think it should have? No.

But it does what it's supposed to do. And it's **** good at it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I wanted something that had 4 doors, comfortable, looked good (especially with a spoiler and wheels), and could benefit MAJORLY with some basic mods. It was pretty much this or a 2nd gen CTS-V. It's pretty ridiculous to add a tune and exhaust and add 100-150whp :D Combine those facts with how much they depreciate if not bought brand new and it was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like my RS...it blends in and docile unless I choose to unleash the power and it's pretty quick. The only negative on that part is it's a little too refined and punished with an automatic, so there is a little bit of disconnect. Thankfully, mine didn't come with DAS or nanny options, which brings it a little close to feeling like a machine you control. The downshift/throttle response sometimes sucks in an emergency situation, although imagine some of that could be tweaked with a tune (least the throttle response).

·
Registered
183 Posts
TLDR; Wanted fun car but not the price tag, needed to get rid of Fusion while still had value (Ford trans), realized Q50 ticked all my boxes and fell in love. Decide to mod it for fun and learning and fell deeper in love and now there is no one else.

I always wanted a fun car but didn't want to spend the money it costs for one. I drove a '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue for my first car until it died and bought a '13 Ford Fusion for my next (so I have always been a 4 door guy) and planned on driving that until it died and then at that point in my life I should be able to get the fun car. Unfortunately like most Fords, it started having transmission problems at 45k, so I figured dump it while I can still get something for it. Thus began my car search.

First I started looking at new sedans that were under $30k and had AWD because I live in snowy Michigan and was sick of FWD cars. I was not impressed by anything, so I started looking at used cars and noticed I could afford a fun car. I expanded my search to fun cars with high HP and the Q50 RS400 caught my eye with the 400HP and AWD. I then spent the next 11 months checking autotrader everyday until a red sport in Iridium blue came up for sale within 200miles of me and went and bought it that weekend (it had to be Iridium Blue haha) .

Initially I wasnt going to mod it and thats why I went with the red sport, but I saw that this car could be so much more and decided to have some fun with it. I haven't really wrenched on a car since high school auto, but have the tools and work in auto engineering and saw it as a fun learning experience/bonding time with my new car. Now I have several mods and repairs done to my car under my belt and it feels like its truly mine.

Like previoisly stated, this car is nowhere near perfect nor the fastest, but I have learned and done so much on this car and truly love it and cant think of/dont want any other car. Also bonus points for no one really knowing what this car is here in big 3 country where everyone thinks their Mustang/Corvette/Challenger, Charger is a super car.

Reactions: Dingleberrez

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TLDR; Wanted fun car but not the price tag, needed to get rid of Fusion while still had value (Ford trans), realized Q50 ticked all my boxes and fell in love. Decide to mod it for fun and learning and fell deeper in love and now there is no one else.

I always wanted a fun car but didn't want to spend the money it costs for one. I drove a '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue for my first car until it died and bought a '13 Ford Fusion for my next (so I have always been a 4 door guy) and planned on driving that until it died and then at that point in my life I should be able to get the fun car. Unfortunately like most Fords, it started having transmission problems at 45k, so I figured dump it while I can still get something for it. Thus began my car search.

First I started looking at new sedans that were under $30k and had AWD because I live in snowy Michigan and was sick of FWD cars. I was not impressed by anything, so I started looking at used cars and noticed I could afford a fun car. I expanded my search to fun cars with high HP and the Q50 RS400 caught my eye with the 400HP and AWD. I then spent the next 11 months checking autotrader everyday until a red sport in Iridium blue came up for sale within 200miles of me and went and bought it that weekend (it had to be Iridium Blue haha) .

Initially I wasnt going to mod it and thats why I went with the red sport, but I saw that this car could be so much more and decided to have some fun with it. I haven't really wrenched on a car since high school auto, but have the tools and work in auto engineering and saw it as a fun learning experience/bonding time with my new car. Now I have several mods and repairs done to my car under my belt and it feels like its truly mine.

Like previoisly stated, this car is nowhere near perfect nor the fastest, but I have learned and done so much on this car and truly love it and cant think of/dont want any other car. Also bonus points for no one really knowing what this car is here in big 3 country where everyone thinks their Mustang/Corvette/Challenger, Charger is a super car.
That's awesome! I love how that story somewhat parallels my own. I live down in Missouri, so the snows we get aren't quite as brutal, but it can get rough.

What drew you away from an Audi, Kia Stinger, or BMW? Those were my top three choices before I settled on this car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's awesome! I love how that story somewhat parallels my own. I live down in Missouri, so the snows we get aren't quite as brutal, but it can get rough.

What drew you away from an Audi, Kia Stinger, or BMW? Those were my top three choices before I settled on this car.
I had a buddy with an A7 and although really nice wasnt too impressed (just not a fan of Audi styling), another friend and his brother always had a newly used 535i it seemed every 2 years and the Stinger wasnt even on my radar probably because only available new for a hefty price tag. I was actually a huge fan of the G70 but they were only available new and too pricey for me. I did almost go with a Subaru Crosstrek for a practical daily, but again I wanted a fun car haha and I actually convinced the wife to ditch her Chevy Sonic for a Crosstrek this year. So now I have a practical car as well haha. I also work for a T1 supplier to Nissan so the Q50 just seemed like the perfect fit.

I plan on driving this one until it dies and when it does who knows what will be on the market then. Maybe I'll be able to step up to a GTR haha.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I didnt fall in love with it.

The only cars I have owned and loved have been my G35 coupes.

I absolutely appreciate the value in a Q50 RS, but there is no love.

First time I ever washed my new 2004 G35 coupe...black on black...as I was soaping the rear bumper, I felt a bit naughty. That is love.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I didnt fall in love with it.

The only cars I have owned and loved have been my G35 coupes.

I absolutely appreciate the value in a Q50 RS, but there is no love.

First time I ever washed my new 2004 G35 coupe...black on black...as I was soaping the rear bumper, I felt a bit naughty. That is love.
I have a neighbor with a black G35 that sits in their driveway and hasnt moved in about a year. It has no plate and the paint looks scorched with the clear coat peeling, but every time I walk by with my dog I kind of want to knock on their door and make an offer haha.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
670 Posts
In college I was driving an I30 and became a little bit of a fanboy. And I remember the hype when they were announcing the Q50 since Infiniti was regarded so much more highly with the G37 being their bread and butter and there was some real excitement with what they were releasing. When I was at the NY auto show in 2013, they had a Chestnut Bronze Q50 on display and I just fell in love with the car (even though I threw a horrendous filter on the picture I took of it) and knew I had to have one. Then in my spring semester of junior year, I started working at a dealership and got to drive Q50's every day so the urge to have one for myself just got worse. Before I left the dealership since I was graduating and moving into a decent job, I pulled the trigger and got my Q50S. 76k miles later and I still love the car. It's fast enough without me getting into real trouble, has been super reliable, and the styling is still just about perfect to my eye. Do I want CarPlay in it? Sure. But it's otherwise spoiled me so much that now I don't want to ever give up a heated steering wheel and Around View Monitor. I'm wanting to get into an SUV, but my Q50 won't be going anywhere since it'll be paid off next June and warrantied until 2023.

Attachments

Reactions: Dingleberrez

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had a toyota crown wagon before my q50, im into vipish cars and wanted something new and abit more sensible than the 1J wagon lol hahaha
i seen @pure_q50 on instagram and fell in love,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

I bought my Q50 Graphite Shadow New last year at August 3rd. Why did I fall in love with my Q50 instead buying my other choices such as 2 AMG's?

Let me tell you a quick story. Last year, my mom was at Venice Italy and I was using her 2006 Honda CRV car to get to work. During that time, I owned 2015 Honda CRV AWD almost fully loaded Red Pearl. The car lost coolant fast and overheated while she was at vacation. I didn't know what I did. She came back from vacation and I told her about it. We have a mechanic that comes to our house and my mom know this guy for more than 10 years. He change the cheapest to expensive parts starting out the radiator cap. That didn't work. we drain the coolant and burp it out and that didn't work. It's been 2 weeks and we kept refilling the radiator. My mom love this car a lot and of course she have her other car 2014 Range Rover with only 25k miles that she barely use. She kept the CRV because it reminds her how she get to where she is at. Anyway, the mechanic found there was a leak at the water pump. Our mechanic changed it and my mom is one of those individual that freaks out stranded at the side of the road. She said after changing the water pump, don't drive it and sell it right away. The car was well taken care off with 240k miles, no knock on the engine. New brakes, rotors, full tune up, water pump, serpentine belt, alternator, battery, timing belt, replace suspension and window regulators. Car literally needs nothing. So, it sold literally 1 day after we put it up on the market for 4k cash. We didn't sell the CRV cheap either. My mom is a frequent international traveler and the year before last year, I fell asleep while driving her 2006 CRV and went over the curb at 40mph. Car was out of allignment and good thing I didn't hit a tree. I was exhausted because working in a medical field for 12 hours per day. Anyway, I felt bad so I gave her my 2015 Honda CRV AWD almost fully loaded Red pearl with all the warranties it had. The car was paid in full and only had 30k miles. All service done through Honda dealers such as the Transmission and oil flush, Drivetrain flush, and new battery.

I have no car beside the 2013 Subaru wrx. I had to find a car fast. I test drove GLA 45 AMG, Audi S4, Mercedes E300, Mercedes e63 ams 2012, Mustang 5.0, Wrx STI, Forester XT, Nissan 370Z, and Mercedes CL55 AMG. My main key to look for owning a car are 4 doors,SPACE especially leg space since I was in an accident before and knee pain (drunk driver hit me), reliable, fun, quietness, modded out somehow (nothing crazy), and owning for many years since I or none of my family don't lease cars. 370Z was out because it was 2 doors and barely have any trunk space. Forester XT was nice, spacious, and SUV, but boring so that was out. Mercedes CL55 AMG was so nice. Big body coupe and big interior space as well as trunk. I can't find one that was in good condition so that was out. WRX STI was awesome, but I have a wax already so that's out. Mustang 5.0 convertible premium was automatic which I like, but it's not 4 door and barely have any trunk space. So that's out. Mercedes E300 was so nice and comfortable. It was like a nightclub on wheels, but it was so slow lol so that's out. Now, the 2012 Mercedes e63 was awesome! the salesperson knew I was a serious buyer since I uber my way to the dealership and told her I need to buy the car today or this week. She let put traction control off and put my foot to the pedal all the way to the floor. Tires was roasted lol. I was so close to buy that, but I heard the head bolts problem. I heard the earlier gen had that problem, but I didn't want to take a chance. Now, GLA 45 AMG and Audi S4 is such a nice car! My older brother and I really enjoyed both cars from the test drive. Again, I want a reliable car and always keep my cars until the wheels fall off. I always like Infiniti so I took a look at their lineup. I was looking at Q70L, but it felt too big lol. My mom drove me to the Infiniti dealership. I like the Q50 Graphite shadow. I fell in love with the color as well as my mom. Drove nice, it was surprisingly quiet! I was surprised. I drove the car on a highway, but it was a lot of traffic. My salesperson was so nice and cool! he was like ok I will show you all the modes such as the eco, standard, and e.t.c. While we were at the highway with traffic, my salesperson guy was like, ok give some space and I want you to hit the gas all the way to the floor. He also said to my mom "ok mom, hold on to something!!". My mom said, "oh my god.. these 2 are having too much fun". She was holding on and was shocked lol. Also, took a look at the Q60 RS400 white exterior. Such a beautiful coupe. My mom took a picture with me inside and outside. My salesperson said, "if you didn't want a 4 door, we could've of test drive this one, but mama will not like it" lol. I bought the car. I didn't buy the car outright put a huge downpayment that I ams paying 130 per months for 4 years, but I will pay it off in 2 years. I did the something with the 2015 Honda CRV because I am building my credit to buy a single owned house with 2 car garage. I was tired from 12 hours of work. I am in medical field. I arrived home and took a nap. I woke up and my mom said, "So I took your car to grocery store with my friends in it. She said it was so comfortable and quiet like her 2014 Range Rover, but getting inside the car is not fun. Your car is fast.". I just smiled and said, "oh ok. glad you enjoyed it mom." lol.

I am happy with it. It's been reliable so far and I put it 10k miles since last year that I purchased it. I love my LED emblem too! I was at target shopping center at night. A young couple was looking while I was finding a parking space. They look back at my car too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It was the fastest AWD sedan for around 25k$ with under 40k miles/ under 4years old, that’s not German. (I work on/mod all my cars not trying to deal with “German engineering“) and that has a solid aftermarket (I like to work on/mod cars). With a JB4 you get very close to red sport numbers and should have red sport reliability, vs another platform that is the “max trim“ model bumping up the power.

I also felt like i “hacked the system” buying a premium and getting a JB4 (one of the best first mods till you’re ready for custom tune) to make it as fast as the red sport at a fraction of the price. Another bonus is the “luxery” feel of the car (premium +package/nav) especially compared to my previous car (2017 toyota 86 full build had about 30k$ In mods 2700lbs, 300whp, full aero, full chassis/suspension, full cooling system much of which was custom made by me nothing you did/could do to it would phase any of the temps, coolant, ATF, oil, IATs never budged, never heat soaked)

Downside is I feel like I’m driving a massive boat now. I am working on improving that next weekend, I know I’ll never come close to the 86s handling and “feel” but straight line speed however the Q is a monster in comparison with a few mods.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
561 Posts
Look, price, power, performance, mpg!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I actually fell in love with the Q60...just happened across one while shopping for my wife's vehicle. I had never seen one and it was a couple of years old and only 28k. Test drove it and DAMN twin turbo too!! Ultimately I "settled" for a 2018 Q50 because was more practical and could get it even cheaper a couple of years old. Couldn't justify the less practical 2 door when same engine/performance available on a practical sedan for less $. Love my Q50 , but Q60 still is the most beautiful practically priced car I have ever seen. The added performance available on the 3.0t motor is icing on the cake - definitely the reason I LOVE it instead of just really like it. Gaining something like 100HP and 100TQ with just a $600 JB4 is an incredible bonus.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Why do people write in text walls? Makes it difficult to read. Paragraphs people, paragraphs!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Because it wasn't an over-engineered, German money pit. I already have one of those.

That and DAS and hybrid performance/power delivery.

Reactions: Benjamin Seth

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also haven’t fell in love with my Q50.

I bought it because I loved my G35 6speed coupe so many years ago and I thought it would be similar, but it is nowhere near as fun. Maybe if it was RWD. But the styling is undoubtedly sharp and the meisterschaft exhaust sounds great. It’s just not exactly dangerous enough for me.

Now I’m looking to park an E60 M5 with the V10 next to my Q50 in the next year or so. That way I can have both reliable and unreliable.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I also haven’t fell in love with my Q50.

I bought it because I loved my G35 6speed coupe so many years ago and I thought it would be similar, but it is nowhere near as fun. Maybe if it was RWD. But the styling is undoubtedly sharp and the meisterschaft exhaust sounds great. It’s just not exactly dangerous enough for me.

Now I’m looking to park an E60 M5 with the V10 next to my Q50 in the next year or so. That way I can have both reliable and unreliable.
funny...only one other guy with the gt haus meisercraft.

worth the price....

if you loved your g35, get another one. I did. It solved my car enthusiast problems.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure if my opinion applies, but I always argue with people about our Q.
They always say "BMW" or "Audi" but honestly our Q does literally everything very well, some may argue it doesn't do it the best but for the price especially in the used price, you can't beat it!
You can buy a premium or base 3.0 model and have really good head room any untapped potential and still get a very good interior. Although in my opinion I think the base model interior is already VERY good, what's there to complain about....not having cooled seats?

The exterior, goodness man yes I have a Q60 but I also look at the Q50 as well they both look amazing especially with the new tail lights on the 2018+ models.
Our reliability probably isn't the best lol but I'm sure it's still better than an Audi or BMW lol and we can easily address our issues our own way (Catch can, Bov for your turbo seals, 5W30 oil etc) and let's not forget the belt which can be addressed by using the new part number 5CA0B

Overall man, I can go on but this is honestly the best bang for buck car if I ever upgrade to a much better coupe, I would def have a Q50 as a practical 4 door car along side my new coupe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
funny...only one other guy with the gt haus meisercraft.

worth the price....

if you loved your g35, get another one. I did. It solved my car enthusiast problems.
I agree the sound of GTHaus on the VQ37VHR is amazing, it sounds exotic and I haven’t heard anything better on that motor.

I don’t think I can buy another G35, it was a perfect memory and the car was absolutely impeccable and I think I want to leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts