Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people have expensive nice wheels, but running cheap tires. I see someone running rays gram light wheels and using sailun tires. I never heard of that tires? I don't understand the logic. Tires and brakes are the two that shouldn't cheap out since that's what stops you or prevent you from getting into an accident.

For example, I've been looking for wheels for almost a year. Two weeks ago, I purchased 19 inch multi-piece wheels and continental Extreme contact DWS. It looks very slightly poke out with stock height. It doesn't rub/scrape hitting big bump at 30 mph because I didn't had a chance to slow on time. The tires are so comfortable when I hit pothole. It's amazing how comfortable vs the run flats.

One main reason is that I wanted to enjoy the car ever since I purchase my new car last year. My first "mod" that I did was tint 3 weeks after purchase because of medical condition. My second mod was sports/muffler delete as a birthday present to myself (my birthday the day after Christmas) which was 4 months after purchasing the car.

End of January, I wasn't looking for another mods for a while and wanted to join a forum/group. Then, I signed up to this forum and my first ever post was purchasing a AMS Lower Downpipes. It was a good deal and only 30 minutes drive. Now, I am friends with the guy that sold me it and the head mechanic in the infiniti dealership that give me such a great deal on installation! what a blessing...

(and so on with my mods. Next mod purchase will be in 5 months or more)

anyway...why one rush modding one's car? and risk of danger or comfort using cheap parts...? no patience?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Many people are ignorant and do not realize that the single most important upgrade to performance and safety is the tires. Tires have a massive impact on ride quality, traction, corner roll, and stopping difference.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Tires...round and black. They all look alike. Car manufacturers usually don't care what they slap on the stuff they build, so why should I care what I put on later?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Tires...round and black. They all look alike. Car manufacturers usually don't care what they slap on the stuff they build, so why should I care what I put on later?
I have NEVER been happy with the tires that came from the factory on any car I have owned.

The person I bought my first Contis from back in '79 told me "There are cats and there are dogs".

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only car that I ever bought that had good OEM tires was my 2009 Honda Accord coupe. Came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I didnt do my due diligence on tires until i got this car. Now I know.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
i‘ve known people to cheap out because they were broke after buying wheels. Not the smartest way to do things.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
They say that when shopping used cars stay away from buying a car that has cheaped out tires on it. That is probably a sign of the care that was provided to the car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Generally speaking, tires are a consumable item and wheels aren't. You can't assume that the last person who put tires on a car is the same person who bought the wheels. You also can't assume that their financial situation didn't change between buying their tire and wheel package and the last time they needed new tires. The list of possible reasons for how cheap tires ended up on expensive wheels is literally so long that I wonder how long you would have to not think about the question in order to not come up with one legitimate answer almost immediately.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
They say that when shopping used cars stay away from buying a car that has cheaped out tires on it. That is probably a sign of the care that was provided to the car.
Often when a car comes into a dealer on trade and needs tires to pass safety inspection so they can put it out for sale, they will put on the absolutely cheapest tires available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Generally speaking, tires are a consumable item and wheels aren't. You can't assume that the last person who put tires on a car is the same person who bought the wheels. You also can't assume that their financial situation didn't change between buying their tire and wheel package and the last time they needed new tires. The list of possible reasons for how cheap tires ended up on expensive wheels is literally so long that I wonder how long you would have to not think about the question in order to not come up with one legitimate answer almost immediately.
I see your point there! Of course everyone think differently and have different financial situation. When it comes to safety, cheap out on tires and brakes are the worse. I am not a fan of Falken Ziex, but it's an okay tire and great price. It's better than a no name brand like sailun 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Often when a car comes into a dealer on trade and needs tires to pass safety inspection so they can put it out for sale, they will put on the absolutely cheapest tires available.
Great point! Most of that dealer tends to be small dealership or independent dealership. Also, when a car comes into a dealer on a trade may have different brand tires. I've seen it and I was like "what...". Maybe I am wrong, but big dealerships tends to use name brand tires and match them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts