Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm sure you know Infiniti will continue to sell the G37 sedan alongside the Q50, and along with this news comes a price cut of $4,000 for the G37. The Q50 is a better car but that doesn't mean the G37 isn't good. Would I be crazy to consider opting for the cheaper car?

·
Registered
183 Posts
As I'm sure you know Infiniti will continue to sell the G37 sedan alongside the Q50, and along with this news comes a price cut of $4,000 for the G37. The Q50 is a better car but that doesn't mean the G37 isn't good. Would I be crazy to consider opting for the cheaper car?
You would be crazy if you also didn't consider lease returns. Infiniti should have some fantastic 3 year old G37s laying around.. The best part is if you pick up a certified pre-owned infiniti from a dealer you also get some kind of warranty. Granted it will be nothing like the coverage on Q50 or a new G37 but its still something to consider if you've decide you're not going with the Q50...

·
Registered
21 Posts
You would be crazy if you also didn't consider lease returns. Infiniti should have some fantastic 3 year old G37s laying around.. The best part is if you pick up a certified pre-owned infiniti from a dealer you also get some kind of warranty. Granted it will be nothing like the coverage on Q50 or a new G37 but its still something to consider if you've decide you're not going with the Q50...

CPOs for a lot of 'luxury' brands are typically 4yr or up to 100k miles. That's nothing to shake a stick at.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For pure driving fun the G37S is better than the Q50S. I drove them back
to back yesterday and even the sales man had to agree. Of course there will
be no Sport Pkg available in 2014. Grab one while you can. I was offered a fully
loaded one for less then $40K, or $390 lease (sign and drive, 0 out of pocket).
Very tempting, but I'v been driving G's since 2008 so time to move on.

If you young (i.e don't care about NVH) and enjoy driving, an 24 month lease
on a G37S is a must. No one makes a raw sports sedan like that anymore.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought my TL in '03, and from an exterior view, I still see the same "G35" I saw back then ... 10 years ago. Of course it's evolved and the interior has improved, but generally, I still see the same car that I saw back then (and was going to buy until I saw the TL). The design has aged and become ridiculously common ... and not in a Porsche kinda way. :) There's no way I'd buy a G37.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The design of the G37 is definitely behind the times, which makes sense since they just updated it with the release of the Q50, but the cost difference is appealing to me. I guess it really isn't that much cheaper than the Q50, but the suggestion of looking into lease returns seems like a good idea. I wonder how much cheaper the returned G37s will be compared to the last new ones.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The residual on the 2011 models is about $24K. Unless you get a killer deal, i.e.
less than 20K for a 2011 sport, stay away from buying. The depreciation would be a killer due to the $4K price decrease on 2014s and Q50 introduction.
I feel sory for whoever bought a new G this year... 24 mo lease is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Lease deals on G37 right now are awesome. Also, buying a used one in good condition is a great deal. The car is still a great car and with the current pricing, probably a better deal than it ever has been.

Interestingly, we sold more G37's than Q50's last month - and made a lot of profit selling them. I don't know the numbers, but I know that profit per car on G37 last month was better than any of the previous 3-4 months at our dealership. That doesn't make any sense on paper, but I'm not complaining.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Is the profit margin for the G37 higher?
Not really, although it was for a short time right before they lowered the sticker price.

I didn't say we were making more on G's than on Q's. Just that G profit was higher last month than in previous months. Probably just the nature of the deals and the clients.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I may be one of the few with a Q50S AWD bought for my wife. I traded my M37x and took her 08 G 35x (my old car) back and now have a 13 G37xS
I was wondering about buying a Q too but just was not ready to spend all that money until proven. So I stArted looking at 13/14 G37xS. The. After a couple days driving the G35 again and the 37 (I borrowed one over night to test drive) it was clear that I was not going to be happy at my age with the G35. The 37S was so much nicer more comfortable I started working to get one of the last sports in Chicago
Picked up a 13 with less than 3k pre owned Infiniti rep for 34k. I lost out by 12 hours on a black on black last brand new one they had but it would have cost just under $37k with VPP
I am very happy with this chain of events
My wife does not let me drive her Q often however the other day she did and had to take my 37xS and commented how nice it was to drive
Yep we are Infiniti people.... Dealer treats us well
Free life time oil changes And car washes.....we live close by and go by dealer on way to Whole Foods so that works for us to in the economics

I think a new 37 sport will have some decent resale because they are not making more so there will be a demand for a number of years

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Now that I think about it again, I wouldn't mind getting one actually, especially if it's a short-term lease. I thought originally about holding onto my G37 LE, but even with it being a LE, its value in a few years is gonna drop extremely hard.

By the end of a new G37 lease, not only will the Q50 be in its mid-cycle refresh, but the Q60 and Q70 should be redesigned and in their new release cycles as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Same here. The G37 is the budget option until the newer models drop next year. Personally I find the design tired, because the Q50 was a year late to begin with.
Yeah the only real plus side is that when you buy the last year model of any vehicle you don't have to deal with the issues people just getting their brand new first year model vehicle do. At that stage a lot of issues have been worked out.

SO if the Q50 was a lemon like the new Pathfinders, I'd probably get a G37, stick with it for a couple years and see how the Q50 improves, then buy it!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
It's hard to resist the G37 deals. THe G37 is still an amazing car.

Is the profit margin for the G37 higher?
Overall, absolutely. There are no development costs to recoup this late in the cycle. There are also well established parts chains that get cheaper or reach a low plateau over time. The Q50 costs much more to build if you take the new part content, low volume production and development costs into account.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.