Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That is very interesting... very!
IS has 250 which is selling the most and Infiniti puts itself in a higher price range. I thought it will not be possible... but the number won't lie. But if It does, either Infiniti did something right or IS screwed up. Do you have the historical number?

I still don't see many in SF bay area though... which is why I like it too.. I like to be unique.

·
Registered
29 Posts
from a potential customer here. I can tell you that I have shot the IS 350 AWD F sport out the door.

Lexus rep called me and ask why would I not want the IS. Told them "it ride like a scooter, no soul."

Oh and the price on those IS is ridiculous for it performance, compares to Q50

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is very interesting... very!
IS has 250 which is selling the most and Infiniti puts itself in a higher price range. I thought it will not be possible... but the number won't lie. But if It does, either Infiniti did something right or IS screwed up. Do you have the historical number?

I still don't see many in SF bay area though... which is why I like it too.. I like to be unique.
To be fair to Lexus, historically they have never depended on the IS the way Infiniti depended on the G Series. Infiniti's bread and butter is their G Sedan. Without our beloved G/Q Lineup, we got a dead Brand. Lexus make money off their insane RX/ES/LS sales. The Lexus RX at one time outsold the entire Acura Brand lol. ES does some insane numbers as well.

Infiniti G/Q Series

Infiniti have historically beaten the Lexus IS year after year. The reason Lexus was the #1 Luxury Brand for 11 of the last 13 years is because of their line up.

Infiniti got the G and than the SUV and the decent M Series.
That have to go up against the IS/ES/GS/ISF/RX/LS.

If Infiniti can create something as good as the G37/Q50 in EVERY SEGMENT of the luxury market up to the 7 Series. Mercedes/BMW/LEXUS will all be trailing Infiniti.

Even a lot of G/Q drivers don't know just how good the sedan is and how amazing it has been doing over the years.

The Cadillac ATS is one of the best reviewed and most loved cars of this segment and in it's 1st full year of sales it did 38,319 Units(which was considered a great success story) If the G37 sold 38,000 units, it will be considered a failure year.

That being said, this new Lexus IS is a very different beast. It's not the engines but the styling. It's controversial styling have sales going crazy and people talking about it all the time. The fact that the Lexus IS 350 out performed the 335I in major reviews helped a lot as well. Add that 'Lexus' symbolic logo onto a already beautiful sedan and it's going to do very well for 2014.

I'm still picking the Q50 to finish on top in sales but it will be pretty close.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good car bad car. You can compare Brands based on sales numbers or just simply go into specific models.

It's really interesting reading the war in sales between Lexus/MB/BMW, some years they come within 10,000 units of each other and it always goes right down to the December sales.

Some pretty interesting facts when doing the sales numbers research. Like the Lexus RX doubling their nearest competition. Like the Infiniti G37 crushing similar price Audi's in sales numbers over the years. Like how the Lexus LS actually matches the 7 Series and beat them most of the time(I always thought the 7 Series sold more) etc etc...........

Also the Acura TL from 2004-2008 was just unbelievable. Those guys were moving 70,000+ Units at one time.

I am also amazed at just how minor of a player Audi really is among the mainstream luxury brands in America. For all the hype they get, you would have thought they were much much bigger in sales.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That being said, this new Lexus IS is a very different beast. It's not the engines but the styling. It's controversial styling have sales going crazy and people talking about it all the time. The fact that the Lexus IS 350 out performed the 335I in major reviews helped a lot as well. Add that 'Lexus' symbolic logo onto a already beautiful sedan and it's going to do very well for 2014.
I totally Dis-agree. I don't know whatever got into the minds of those critics, or the money got to their pockets.

I can tell you from personal experience of a driver like me. I love the Q50 chasis feed backs, the handling. They can complain about the regenerative braking, or the dead Direct Adaptive Steering. But compare from IS 350 to Q50. I can tell you that the only thing the IS win over the Q50 = The crazy styling. It look Odd, but it give you the "WOW" But the driving ? Nah..Numb...feel like scooter to me

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Wow not bad at all.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers change over time as the Q50 has had a head start
I'm pretty sure the IS started selling before the Q50 did. Q50 became available in August, but IS was a month or two before that, right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
from a potential customer here. I can tell you that I have shot the IS 350 AWD F sport out the door.

Lexus rep called me and ask why would I not want the IS. Told them "it ride like a scooter, no soul."

Oh and the price on those IS is ridiculous for it performance, compares to Q50
Great point about the price. The Q50 almost matches the IS 350 F Sport.(Some will say it's actually better) The IS 350 F Sport have a MSRP of 47,000+10%. We are looking at 54,000 prior to negotiations. I don't even know if that price comes with Navi(that's another 1-2k)

The Q50 is a MUCH better deal than the 350 F Sport. I got mine in the low 40's and it wasn't even that hard to negotiate.

Basically what you are getting in a Q50 is IS 250ish price but with 350 performance.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
It may very well be more popular on the east coast. We don't have charts to break it down this way, but I see a ton of them around NYC. It wasn't like this at first, but since December, they're suddenly everywhere. There was a press release where Nissan acknowledged that this area is their largest market. When the M came out in 2010, they mentioned metro-NYC and south Florida specifically, before other no-brainers such as DC and LA.

If the IS can only be truly enjoyed to its potential in 350 F-sport trim, then it would make sense for there to be more of them sold on the west coast with its more mild climate. On the east (and gulf) coasts, the frequent storms, extreme temperatures, and ugly winter conditions up north mean that everyone gets AWD (most dealers won't even stock RWD luxury sedans). Perhaps the public prefers the Q50 to the IS in AWD trim. But it's all conjecture at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Web Version

Infiniti reports February U.S. sales

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Infiniti today reported U.S. sales of 9,729 units in February, an increase of 6.4 percent versus 9,147 units a year earlier.

The all-new Infiniti Q50 luxury sports sedan saw deliveries of 3,275 units in February. Overall sales of Infiniti sports sedans, which include the Infiniti G37, rose more than 14.4 percent for the month. Sales of Infiniti passenger cars rose more than 6.4 percent.

The Infiniti QX60 7-passenger luxury crossover counted sales of 2,704, an increase of 17.6 percent over February 2013. Overall sales of Infiniti's luxury crossover and sport utility vehicles rose 13.5 percent on the year.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A toyata press release said IS has triple digit gains in Feb 2014.
But the actual numbers are not posted yet.
Should be at least 3,000... probably more

-------------------------------------------------
IS 2013 (FEB) - 1532 (-23.8% y-over-y)
IS 2012 (FEB) - 2095

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.