Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what speeds are you guys getting wind noise? I'm getting some just on the drivers side at around 45mph and up. My wife does not hear it on the passenger side. My QX56 has a very subtle wind noise at highway speeds and I'm thinking my Q50 has a trim issue.

There was a thread on whistling noise but mine is different. I usually have the music on and don't notice it but when I'm in my quiet mood it's disrupting.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had this happen to me on the freeway this weekend.
Same as you, I had the radio off at the time.

I couldn't tell if it's from the window or it's comming from the outside from the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine start about 50mph and get worst as I drove faster.
I tried to clean the rubber surrounding and get a tight seal when I shut the door. Unfortunately, that didn't help much.
I give up on it. I just crank up the music and not think about it.

Reactions: offroadtrimike

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have noticed this with my Q from about 45mph and up. I too hadn't noticed until i was driving at high speed with the radio turned off, which is rarely the case. Prompted me to look at all of the moldings and weather stripping and I found that my front drivers side door isn't properly lined up, even though it's only off by less then 1/16 of an inch it's still quite noticeable. Haven't been able to get the car to the dealer to try to fix the issue but I am hoping that this will fix the noise problem.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I noticed it the first day I drove the car out dealer lot! It is not wristling noise that other thread described. I gave feedback on all surveys and consumer affairs but I haven't received any feedback. I cant tell whether it is coming from the front left side or the door!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I'm only getting it on one side leads me to believe that it can be fixed. Now whether the dealership will or can fix it remains to be seen. I'm gonna inquire about it this week and I'll post the results.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Can the mirror be pulled in all the way?
I'm not in my car ATM so I don't know? :confused:

Might be worth a shot to drive with the dirver mirror pulled in for a few miles to see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have same issue. Brought it back to dealer and they say its normal. Pretty bad for a luxury car.
I wouldn't say it is normal, I don't notice any noise with my Q. I've already had to do a 1500 mile hwy trip and no noises hear (spelling pun intended).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi folks, Has anyone been able to get the wind noise issue resolved or noticeably reduced, by themselves or via your dealer ?

Wondering if all those experiencing are just accepting it as a design flaw or are they hearing any agreeable response to the issue from their dealers or even Infiniti Consumer Affairs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Try this. I don't guarantee it will work but it does seem to reduce my wind noise.
1. Clean all the rubber around on all 4 doors
2. Clean all the rubber under the engine hood
3. Clean the moonroof surrounding
4. Clean all the rubber around the trunk area

Basically, clean any rubber you see that give a good seal from the outside.

As for a good rubber cleaning material, this one is popular.
Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege

Even if it does not work, it's still a good practice to keep the rubber clean so it will last longer.

Hi folks, Has anyone been able to get the wind noise issue resolved or noticeably reduced, by themselves or via your dealer ?

Wondering if all those experiencing are just accepting it as a design flaw or are they hearing any agreeable response to the issue from their dealers or even Infiniti Consumer Affairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wind Noise - I have it too, but not on the loaner

I picked up my beautiful new Q50 last August. The first time I had it on the highway above 70KPH, I started to hear a wind noise coming from the top of the driver side window. It progressively got worse at around 110 to 130 KPH. Being a luxury car, I took the car back to let the service manager take it for a drive. I suggested that since I had the glass tinted, maybe the installers did something to the alignment of the window track and / or the seal. After the service manager took it for a test drive, he reassured me that "that sound is normal" and it's probably coming from the driver side mirror. I could not believe he said that. After watching all the Q50 promo material which shows the car inside of wind tunnels to ensure a quiet ride and low co-efficient of friction.

Since the sound bugs me like crazy (and I don’t think you should have to put the volume way up on the audio system to mask it), I came back a month later and took a sales guy out for a drive to listen to my car’s wind noise and then took a demo car out. I heard far less noise on the demo car, but the sales guy reassured me it was normal to have that noise. So, for the last 5 months I have been a frustrated (at highway speed) owner of the Q50.

Latest Flash - Today I dropped my car off for the 6K KM oil change and mandatory software upgrade. They gave me a loaner car. "Lo and Behold" at highway speeds, there was absolutely no, nada, sound. It was as quiet as can be. No hint of wind noise at all. I now know that my window has a problem, and Infiniti needs to fix it. I would suggest that Infiniti should also be fixing all of the other cars on this thread (and probably more).

Let's keep this going until we get a resolution. I will be taking mine back again, and I will report back how my dealer addresses this issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Rick - what's the build on your car? I wonder if there is a difference between the sport and premium since the aero dynamic is on the sport model. I have heard it but always figured it was windy lol.. should probably pay more attention to it..

Funny thing, I was complaining to my brother about the run-flats being extremely noisy and he told me didn't you test drive it.. Well I did, but the sales people typically don't shut up and keep talking or play the radio so that it masks all the cars imperfections lol..

I picked up my beautiful new Q50 last August. The first time I had it on the highway above 70KPH, I started to hear a wind noise coming from the top of the driver side window. It progressively got worse at around 110 to 130 KPH. Being a luxury car, I took the car back to let the service manager take it for a drive. I suggested that since I had the glass tinted, maybe the installers did something to the alignment of the window track and / or the seal. After the service manager took it for a test drive, he reassured me that "that sound is normal" and it's probably coming from the driver side mirror. I could not believe he said that. After watching all the Q50 promo material which shows the car inside of wind tunnels to ensure a quiet ride and low co-efficient of friction.

Since the sound bugs me like crazy (and I don’t think you should have to put the volume way up on the audio system to mask it), I came back a month later and took a sales guy out for a drive to listen to my car’s wind noise and then took a demo car out. I heard far less noise on the demo car, but the sales guy reassured me it was normal to have that noise. So, for the last 5 months I have been a frustrated (at highway speed) owner of the Q50.

Latest Flash - Today I dropped my car off for the 6K KM oil change and mandatory software upgrade. They gave me a loaner car. "Lo and Behold" at highway speeds, there was absolutely no, nada, sound. It was as quiet as can be. No hint of wind noise at all. I now know that my window has a problem, and Infiniti needs to fix it. I would suggest that Infiniti should also be fixing all of the other cars on this thread (and probably more).

Let's keep this going until we get a resolution. I will be taking mine back again, and I will report back how my dealer addresses this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rick - what's the build on your car? I wonder if there is a difference between the sport and premium since the aero dynamic is on the sport model. I have heard it but always figured it was windy lol.. should probably pay more attention to it..

Funny thing, I was complaining to my brother about the run-flats being extremely noisy and he told me didn't you test drive it.. Well I did, but the sales people typically don't shut up and keep talking or play the radio so that it masks all the cars imperfections lol..
Decade - Thanks for the comment. My build is a fully loaded premium model - not the sports package. I've had a G35 for 7 years and a G37X for 4 years and never had this issue. Can't believe this kind of noise would creep into this new car as a "normal sound". R

·
Registered
982 Posts
Decade - Thanks for the comment. My build is a fully loaded premium model - not the sports package. I've had a G35 for 7 years and a G37X for 4 years and never had this issue. Can't believe this kind of noise would creep into this new car as a "normal sound". R
We're "hearings things". Because the magazine says the Q50 is quieter. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
We're "hearings things". Because the magazine says the Q50 is quieter. :rolleyes:
No, the Q50 is quieter because most people who have one, say it is. If a few people notice more noise than there should be, the proper thing to do is investigate why, and take proper steps to correct it. If unable to do so, then the consumer should nicely approach the dealership and have them look into the problem. Of course, if the dealership is a poor one, or the consumer has made himself a perennial, nasty PITA, then I can see that he would have a harder time getting the dealership to take him seriously, and act accordingly. The last part of this post is, of course, theoretical, and does not have any implication towards any one individual.;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
No, the Q50 is quieter because most people who have one, say it is. If a few people notice more noise than there should be, the proper thing to do is investigate why, and take proper steps to correct it. If unable to do so, then the consumer should nicely approach the dealership and have them look into the problem. Of course, if the dealership is a poor one, or the consumer has made himself a perennial, nasty PITA, then I can see that he would have a harder time getting the dealership to take him seriously, and act accordingly. The last part of this post is, of course, theoretical, and does not have any implication towards any one individual.;):rolleyes:
Hard to truly judge how quiet it is, because of the run flats.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.