Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove over 240 miles from VA to PA in the snowstorm this past Sunday. To give some perspective on the conditions... It dumped about 8 inches in two hours in MD just before we got there. Three major interstates were closed for 3-5 hours each due to separate 20-50 car pile ups. Probably saw another 30 or so cars off the road at various spots, usually solo or in pairs. My normal 3 hour drive took 7 hours with the traffic and conditions.

Q50 Premium AWD w/ factory 19" RFTs

Only had 1 incident where the car slid for 25 yards or so.... along with everyone else. Luckily it was more like synchronized sliding and nobody hit anything and we just kept on our merry way once the cars found traction. I felt like the forward emergency braking actually caused the slide when it engaged because we crested a hill and there were 2 cars in a wreck on the side of the road and bunch of stopped traffic.

After that I turned off all driver assistance except Blind Spot Warning. I also turned off the Sonar because the snow buildup was causing the MOD to continuously alarm. Only thing I left on was traction control. I felt that Snow Mode was very helpful in those conditions due to the increase in deceleration but I did drive in other modes from time to time just to test. I felt in control in all modes.

My biggest complaint is that I do not trust the 19" stock RFTs so I didn't push it too hard. Plus I had the family (and dog) in the car, so not the time to test the limits. I did find a nice hill where cars, trucks, and SUVs were spinning out and having problems getting up..... Not a single slip in the Q! Also drove throw a small unplowed parking lot and no issues in the fresh 8" of powder.

The other gripe I have is with the climate control. It did a poor job last week on our trip to Pittsburgh, but did a fair job at defogging the front this weekend. Both trips the rear defroster kept turning off. Annoying when I constantly had to keep turning it back on because the rear window keeps fogging up.

Given the conditions and number accidents we witnessed, and the fact that I got home without a scratch, I would give it a 8 out of 10 for handling in the snow. But, I am pretty certain throwing real tires on this would bump it to a solid 10.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great post. I have still yet to try the car in snow. Still waiting for it in Toronto!
I need to get winter tires, but they are crazy $$$$$ to fit the sports package/brakes.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You make some interesting points, especially about turning off most of the technology. It's a good example of sometimes common sense being more important than relying on a machine. And I agree about the rear window defogger. I've never seen a car that didn't have a timer for it. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great post. I have still yet to try the car in snow. Still waiting for it in Toronto!
I need to get winter tires, but they are crazy $$$$$ to fit the sports package/brakes.
If you're going to bother with snow tires, it probably makes sense to get an extra set of wheels. It's handy to be able to pop them on and off as needed, the money saved on the smaller tires will probably go a long way towards paying for a set of cheap wheels (that you won't mind as much if you curb when you go fish tailing), and you want narrower tires in the snow anyways.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The other gripe I have is with the climate control. It did a poor job last week on our trip to Pittsburgh, but did a fair job at defogging the front this weekend. Both trips the rear defroster kept turning off. Annoying when I constantly had to keep turning it back on because the rear window keeps fogging up.
Are you leaving the A/C on in your car? I know it's counter intuitive in the cold, but it serves the purpose of dehumidifying the air in the car and usually keeps the windows from fogging.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Are you leaving the A/C on in your car? I know it's counter intuitive in the cold, but it serves the purpose of dehumidifying the air in the car and usually keeps the windows from fogging.
On modern cars, the front defroster automatically turns on the A/C, for the very purpose you mentioned.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure that all cars turn off the back defogger after 10 to 15 minutes. It's such a high drain appliance that manufacturers build a timer until all of them. At least all of my cars have been that way.
I guess I am griping more about how easily/frequently the windows seem to fog up and not so much that the defroster turns off. Could be because there are 3 people and a dog in the car, as I don't seem to have the problem when I am alone.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review! I enjoyed reading it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
On modern cars, the front defroster automatically turns on the A/C, for the very purpose you mentioned.
Yes, and it drives my BIL crazy. It seriously drives out his contact lens.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
That is a great review summary. It sounds to me like this car is commendably solid in the snow, and would be a beast with snow tires like I have on my old G35 with RWD.

Thanks for keeping the community updated!:)

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I remember when the corporate guys were previewing the Q50 at local dealers prior to launch. They drove the car from place to place. They said they were caravanning with the Q50 and a pair of FX's. At one point they got stuck in a severe downpour and people were pulling off to the side of the road. The guy in the Q50 AWD said the car stayed settled, tracked well, and never made him nervous. The FX guys had white knuckles according to him. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Q50 traction control works better

This just means that the traction control in the Q50 works better. The sole purpose of traction control is to keep the tires from slipping.

I found it harder to make the Q50's tail kick out versus my 2007 G35x. I had to try very hard with traction control on to make it kick out. The G35x would kick the tail out so easily.

Safer. Not as fun.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I guess I am griping more about how easily/frequently the windows seem to fog up and not so much that the defroster turns off. Could be because there are 3 people and a dog in the car, as I don't seem to have the problem when I am alone.
That's an easy solve: Tell them to stop breathing.:D

Yes, and it drives my BIL crazy. It seriously drives out his contact lens.
I had to look that one up. For those like me, who know very few texting shortcuts, I found this site, which has almost 4,000 texting shortcuts and symbols - and it's rated G(I'm sure there are other acronyms that they didn't include.;))

3,907 EMAIL ICQ IRC Chat SMS EMS MMS IMS Shortcuts, Abbr & Acronyms

·
Registered
396 Posts
Part of the reason I enjoy this forum is that it has ALL range of age, sex, education/profession, and experiences with various cars/parts. And most ppl here are kind and willing to help out any time. .. I didn't/don't have to worry about asking a "stupid" question or not understanding a certain post/question. :p Not to mention how much I have learned by just reading... :) Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Part of the reason I enjoy this forum is that it has ALL range of age, sex, education/profession, and experiences with various cars/parts. And most ppl here are kind and willing to help out any time. .. I didn't/don't have to worry about asking a "stupid" question or not understanding a certain post/question. :p Not to mention how much I have learned by just reading... :) Thanks, guys!
Though there has been very little new information that I have offered here, I hope that what little I did find was helpful. As far as being worried about stupid questions, if I hadn't asked some, I'd still be trying to figure out how I can carry around a bunch of CDs, without it getting messy.:D And as come up today in another thread, just about everyone here has been very nice and non-judgmental. It's the ones who can't accept gentle jibes, and retort with hatred, who get me to "go off" sometimes. As for your situation, I hope the car is like new again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.