Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me with some information on choosing the proper winter tires for my new Q50S AWD (I live in Alberta, Canada). I was talking to the sale person at Infiniti and he said to go with 18 inch tires but I have 19 inch tires...is there a big difference? He suggested I go to 1010tires and have them ship it to me as it would be cheaper. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Any other suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me with some information on choosing the proper winter tires for my new Q50S AWD (I live in Alberta, Canada). I was talking to the sale person at Infiniti and he said to go with 18 inch tires but I have 19 inch tires...is there a big difference? He suggested I go to 1010tires and have them ship it to me as it would be cheaper. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Any other suggestions? Thanks
I was checking 1010tires and tirerack for winter wheels and tires. price them out and with the TPMS, tires, wheels, both sites were cheaper than Infiniti's by a few hundred bucks. However, I'll probably buy from Infiniti and have them installed to save the trouble of having them reset the TPMS. Infiniti suggested downsizing to 18" for winter.

Tirerack is US so shipping and custom alert.
1010tires has a Canadian subsidiary so no cross border shipping

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
tire/wheel packages

I have purchased tire/wheel packages from both tiretrends.com and 1010tires.com and have had entirely satisfactory experiences with both. I haven't talked to the parts people at Erickson's yet but from past experiences, the on-line vendors are about $800 - $1000 less than the dealerships! My problem at this point is determining which 18" wheels will clear the big brakes on the Q50S. The on-line vendors are not listing this option yet.

The offset on the stock 19" rims is 50mm and the bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Assuming I can find 18" rims to fit, I have 2 snow tire sizes in mind which will maintain or be close to the overall diameter (26.7") of the stock tires: 245/45-18 (26.7" diam.) or 235/50-18 (27.3" diam.). If anyone has any wheel suggestions, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I decided to go with the dealership and buy their winter tire package (currently on sales). It's more expensive than 1010tires and Tirerack, but at least I know the RWD wheels they have will fit, and Michelin are decent winter tires.

Will swap out the run flat with Pilot A/S onto the 19" wheels next spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both. Just looking for suggested tire size and bolt pattern of the rim. Or I guess what I should be asking an online retailer of tires and rims so I can save a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
so how much you end up paying? what brand and model of winter tires?
All up, including taxes, TPMS, programming, installation, some painted silver wheels and Xi3 tires = $2500

You will find lower prices if you shop on Tirerack and 1010tire, etc. I priced them out and could save about $200 - $300

Come spring, I'll buy a new set of tires and slap them onto my OEM 19" wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I have been hearing really great things about the Nokian winter tire line. The Hakkapeliitta R is supposed to be a great tire (no studs)
People online always rave about those tires. I've never used them because the ones for my SUV were always too expensive. I've ised Dunlop and michelins for years now. The past two sets were X-ices. I've been very pleased with their performance, especially on packed snow and ice.

I'm thinking of using the stock rims on a non-sport car and mounting some winter tire to them for 5-6 months/year. I'll probably use the stock rft's for summer only. Working at a car dealership means I don't have to pay much to have the tires swapped. Plus this should allow me to still have sufficient tread left on my stock tires at the end of my lease to not need new rft's. Infiniti definitely wants you to have rft's on a lease return.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winter Tires for Dummies?

Hello

I drive a Q50 hybrid AWD, non-tech package.

I live in Ottawa.

I contacted my local dealer about a full set of winter tires and rims. The estimates was at least $2500 + tax. They said something about Infiniti prohibiting them from slaping anything but approved run flat tires.

Is this really necessary? I never changed a spare tire in my life.

Can someone suggest an alternative to the Infiniti "gold plated special" in language that a "tire dummy" can understand? I am willing to go somewhat out of my way to save some money, but in the end, I need a place to store the OEM tires I have now so maybe the dealer is my only choice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
18" rims do clear calipers on my q50 s hybrid.
Ride a little nicer too.
I had the dealer install non RF winter tires without any problems, using Infiniti rim.
I don't think wheels from G will fit. Offset is +35 (or 30?). Q has offset +50
It is not easy to find rims with this offset, that's why I went to dealer.
Paid $2200 tax in for the whole set with TPMS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have purchased tire/wheel packages from both tiretrends.com and 1010tires.com and have had entirely satisfactory experiences with both. I haven't talked to the parts people at Erickson's yet but from past experiences, the on-line vendors are about $800 - $1000 less than the dealerships! My problem at this point is determining which 18" wheels will clear the big brakes on the Q50S. The on-line vendors are not listing this option yet.

The offset on the stock 19" rims is 50mm and the bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Assuming I can find 18" rims to fit, I have 2 snow tire sizes in mind which will maintain or be close to the overall diameter (26.7") of the stock tires: 245/45-18 (26.7" diam.) or 235/50-18 (27.3" diam.). If anyone has any wheel suggestions, I'd be grateful.
I am currently in the process of negotiating a deal for 2015 q50 sport awd. I called a tire dealer and asked which winter tire size would be best for 18 inch rims on this vehicle. He did recommend 245/45/18. He also offered me Bridgestone Blizzak Lm-32 tire for $270 each, with the winter rims at $90 each. However he also stated if I want the tire pressure monitor to work properly he will need to install a tire pressure sensor on each tire at $100 a pop. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Screw the TPMS for your winter sneakers. I have run dedicated winter setups for years and never had TPMS installed. You'll get a light on the dash display but that's it.
Also never bought them through the dealers. I'm not doing it on my Q due to the fact I have other vehicles to use and don't commute to work anymore but if I did I would look elsewhere for wheels and tires. Not a whole lot to choose from but Tirerack finally has something to offer for us Q50S owners.

https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winte...oModel=Q50S+3.7&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=AWD

·
Registered
704 Posts
I could not imagine EVER driving the Q50 in snow/ice on purpose....especially the one I bought. It would just be stupid and I'd wind up on the evening news.

That said, if I had an AWD Q50 and HAD to have winter tires because I lived in a region where I could encounter a surprise snow storm....I'd buy a NOKIAN product.

Done and done. Game over. Case dismissed. QED.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.