Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50 Luxe AWD with Sensory & ProAssist pkgs - Black/Graphite
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up an obsidian black CPO 2018 Luxe AWD Q50 with ~40k on it about two months ago after my 2013 Ford Police Interceptor decided that after 290k miles it needed a new timing chain and water pump which is a job that costs about $3k.

So far I love my Q50 and am very happy to find there is a great online community and aftermarket support for the Q50.

I do miss some things about the interceptor.
  • It was invisible to LE. I put over 190k miles on it in just over 4 years doing things I probably should have been severely beaten for and never got a ticket. Most of the time I just got a wave from cops.
  • It was a tank. No worries or fears about popping a curb or hitting a pothole.
  • I miss the trunk space, even though it had a full size spare I could fill it with a dozen circus midgets no problem.
  • Although the interceptor is essentially a beefed up taurus which has little options for an aftermarket sound system, the lack of center console allowed me to fit an aftermarket HU, speakers all the way around and amps to drive it.
I mention the part about it being a tank and having a full size spare as over Memorial Day I did a 1k mile round trip to Virginia from Connecticut and discovered a bubble near the rim of my front drivers side tire right after starting on my way back. When I bought the car they put four brand new Bridgestone (225/50R18s) Driveguards on it. I was able to find a firestone tire center along the way and had them replace it with a new non runflat tire, with the hope that the dealer would be able to warranty the tire as it was two months old and having maybe 3k miles on it at that point, I would get a new driveguard tire to replace it, and I would just keep the new non RFT as a spare at the house. Short story, the dealership told me since I didn't technically buy the tire from them I was not eligible for warranty service. Called Bridgestone who told me that the tire was actually eligible for warranty and take it for inspection at my local Firestone Tire center. Firestone told me that they wouldn't actually inspect it as they were sure it was caused by me hitting a pothole or something else (which I know I haven't) and wouldn't be bothered. They claimed the RFTs are particularly prone to sidewall bubbles and that getting road hazard protection on them is pretty much essential.

Although this my first car that uses RFTs, I have been driving for over 35 years and have just shy of two million miles on my personal odometer, and this was the second sidewall bubble I have encountered and for it to happen within the first two months of me owning it is troublesome. If this experience is a norm rather than an exception, I wonder if RFTs should be trusted for long distance travel (which I do tend to do a lot of). So I am wondering if anyone has any insights regarding the durability of RFTs, and if they are any good strategies to mitigating a flat tire situation other than run regular tires all around and carry a full size spare and jack and have no trunk space.

Also I know this should probably be posted in the Tire and Wheel section, but since it was my first post I figured this would probably be the best place to start.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
I'm gonna duck for the impending fire storm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My only comment - I've been on this forum for over 4 years and have not come across a single RFT fanboy, er, person.

The only reasons RFTs get sold in the forum classifieds section is the lessee is turning their Q in back to Infiniti Financial, and they need to return it with (good) RFTs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only comment - I've been on this forum for over 4 years and have not come across a single RFT fanboy, er, person.

The only reasons RFTs get sold in the forum classifieds section is the lessee is turning their Q in back to Infiniti Financial, and they need to return it with (good) RFTs.
So just run with normal tires, and hope for the best? Honestly not a terrible solution with TPMS. Just keep a small DC powered tire pump. Should be able to cover the distance better than 50 miles at 50 mph that RFTs provide.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
156 Posts
There are plenty of cars that don't have run flats or a spare these days. I bought one of those factory tire repair kits that normally come with those cars off ebay for like 40 bucks. My Taurus SHO had one.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
So just run with normal tires, and hope for the best? Honestly not a terrible solution with TPMS. Just keep a small DC powered tire pump. Should be able to cover the distance better than 50 miles at 50 mph that RFTs provide.
12 VDC compressor + Slime + towing insurance.

Reactions: jodedor and rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,105 Posts
I've never seen a Taurus Interceptor. Mostly only Crown Vics. And, more recently, Explorers.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
156 Posts
2013+ could even order it with the twin turbo 3.5 and AWD
I've never seen a Taurus Interceptor. Mostly only Crown Vics. And, more recently, Explorers.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I dunno if I would call an Explorer an interceptor. It's a truck. It drives, rides and handles like a truck. With a high CG it can roll fairly easily. That Taurus is based on their SHO model.

A patrol car would be a more appropriate description.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2013+ could even order it with the twin turbo 3.5 and AWD
Mine was a 3.5 with twin turbo (It is badged as as Ecoboost). Stock it has 365 hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So all I need to add to the equation is Slime, I already have the other two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I guess the next question in line is how soon do I need to get new tires?

The new tire that was put on was a Firestone Firehawk AS. I know the conventional wisdom is that I need to have all tire the same make, and relatively the same mileage on them. Not sure I would will go with Firehawks all around as more than likely I can find a buy three get one free deal, and the firehawk seems like a meh type of tire. But it would be great if I could put this off for a week or two.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
So all I need to add to the equation is Slime, I already have the other two.
There are kits that incorporate a compressor and sealant into one unit. That's what I have. I'll only use it if a tow truck is too far away as the sealant needs to be cleaned out of the tire if it is repaired and the TPMS sensor can get plugged up with sealant.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
If you do go with a sealant, make sure it is water-soluble. Whoever ends up repairing the tire will thank you for it.

Reactions: cyg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you do go with a sealant, make sure it is water-soluble. Whoever ends up repairing the tire will thank you for it.
So either Airman or Slime. Airman seems like a better solution.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD
220 Posts
Just as mentioned, Taurus SHO could've been a good disguise. Otherwise, you can always buy a Dodge Charger Hellcat and modify the exterior to look like a V6 model, add some front police guard thing and wheels. True sleeper status

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
Just as mentioned, Taurus SHO could've been a good disguise. Otherwise, you can always buy a Dodge Charger Hellcat and modify the exterior to look like a V6 model, add some front police guard thing and wheels. True sleeper status
"Robocop"!

I do like the GT-R cop cars. Down south:
Abu Dhabi as some "in use" GT-R "pursuit" cop cars:

Japan too:

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
aaaaand a plug kit for good measure.

if you are concerned, get a full size spare and jack for long trips.

Or you can fit a spare tire kit as some have done...a quick search should get you there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts