Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Q50

Votes: 35 92.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys at Jalopnik think you should buy a G37 over the new Q50 with some very valid points to support it. What will you be doing? Buying a brand new G37 or Q50?

I will be buying a Q50, largely for it's looks. But for someone who wants more of a drivers car, a G37 + Manual IS the way to go

Despite eventual replacement by the new Infiniti Q50, it turns out the current G37 will soldier on longer than planned. The G37 sedan will continue on with its current form and name alongside the Q50 until 2015, Infiniti says. Here's why you should buy the G instead.

With the G37 staying on for another two years, Infiniti has slashed their prices way down from $37,350 to $32,550. With that you get the same 328 horsepower 3.7-liter V6 that's in the Q50 (though not the 360 horsepower hybrid engine, which I actually liked better because of all the torque), and you can have it with a stick shift. P

I drove the Q50 last week and found it to be a well-appointed, well-designed luxury sedan with a lot of great technology. I also found it boring, primarily because it lacks a manual transmission and because much of that technology seemed to be present for its own sake, not because it enhanced the driving experience. P

If you go the G37 route, also won't have to deal with things like the Infiniti app suite or Directive Adaptive Steering, which I found solidly meh.P

The Q50 is not a bad car by any means, but the G37 offers a purer experience for enthusiasts than its successor, and now it's quite a bit cheaper. Given the choice, I'd go with that one and you should too.
http://jalopnik.com/you-should-buy-an-infiniti-g37-instead-of-a-q50-1041157119

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Well, the app suite on the Q50 isn't fleshed out yet, the 3rd-party apps are literally not there on the screen, so no subtracted points for that.

Since the G37S is discontinued, there will be no manual option for the G37 other than existing stock. That leaves you with steering. If you believe hydraulic steering is much more important than all the other amenities the Q50 brings with it, you should be driving a Miata anyway. ;)

Of course, if you're worried about your piggy bank, the G37 is a no-brainer. They are (and will be) practically giving them away for the next year. It's probably the best value per dollar in the entire sport sedan segment, especially with the cheap lease rates it is currently enjoying.

When the Q40 hits as a 2015 model year, the G37 will be gone for good. I'm anxious to see what else Infiniti has in the pipeline. I would really love for them to become as large and diverse as BMW, even if every model isn't perfect.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not sure I get this question. It's still about old verses new styling, exterior and interior, new technical achievements etc. etc. It's a personal preference. To be honest, if I wanted a true drivers car, which has a different meaning for everyone, it wouldn't even be an Infiniti.

My thoughts on Manuals

The G37 with a manual doesn't mean it IS the way to go to be more of a drivers car. I have a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD with the 6 speed manual. I love manuals and most of my cars since I was 19 were manuals, so I am more than proficient...oh I'm in my 40's. Anyway, they CAN be more fun when your driving your car on a track or around a lot of corners etc., but on a daily commute and in traffic, it's a PITA! Not to mention how well the manual is because they are not all created equal. The Acura's is one of the smoothest in the business.

So while I love manuals and always will I wouldn't do it anymore for my daily commuter.

By the way, most likely you will NEVER push either car to it's limits to find out how good it really is unless you take lessons and take it to the track. Plus I think those reviews are silly and those people don't really do a very good job and wouldn't trust their personal thoughts on what they think is a "drivers car".

I will say the Q50 needs different tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since the G35/G37 has been around for a while and the Q50 will be a brand new release, I think the G35/G37 are safer bets as all the issues with it should be sorted out by now. The Q50 will probably go through tweaks and updates for the first few model years before everything is just right. Therefore, I might go with the older model for now.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Good stuff JR. I feel the same way about motorcycles and manuals. In the mountains, carving canyons with little to no other traffic, both are great. However, put them smack dab in the middle of an urban environment, and all of a sudden you're hating life. Traffic in a stick shift is a nightmare beyond words. Riding a cruiser bike in a dense city is terrifying, if you think people are bad with other cars, watch how they treat cyclists. I always give bikers about 3 car lengths lead, because they can stop alot faster than I can, and they seem to appreciate it, but sometimes that gives other drivers a hole to jump in front of me and ride the biker's fender.

Sorry, another classic derail in progress, I'll stop while I'm ahead. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've owned my 2003 G35 for 11.5 years and it has served me well. If I had to make the choice 11 years ago between a Q and G, I would choose the G. But now, I value the tech and ride comfort more than before so the Q is my choice for today.

For me, the Q is like an M's little brother but sportier. And that is exactly what I am looking for today.

I'm told there is a new infiniti model on the drawing board that might be a bit smaller than the G with a smaller engine (IS 250 style). I don't expect to see it for about 2-3 years though.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I've owned my 2003 G35 for 11.5 years and it has served me well. If I had to make the choice 11 years ago between a Q and G, I would choose the G. But now, I value the tech and ride comfort more than before so the Q is my choice for today.

For me, the Q is like an M's little brother but sportier. And that is exactly what I am looking for today.
Haha, I don't know if I coined the phrase or drew an obvious conclusion, but I totally agree about the Q being a little M, and that's a big source of appeal for me. I was inches from leasing an M37S last November until I saw the Q50 teasers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was inches from leasing an M37S last November until I saw the Q50 teasers.
Same here. I had test driven an M last year and that was my direction too. But I waited because I knew the G was up for a re-make. That was before the Q was announced. I am glad I waited.

My Q is on order for delivery at the end of this month. My only decision now is whether I want to "sell/exchange" my 19 inch wheels that my car will come with for someone else's 17 inchers who wants 19s.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Same here. I had test driven an M last year and that was my direction too. But I waited because I knew the G was up for a re-make. That was before the Q was announced. I am glad I waited.

My Q is on order for delivery at the end of this month. My only decision now is whether I want to "sell/exchange" my 19 inch wheels that my car will come with for someone else's 17 inchers who wants 19s.
Guarantee you you will find someone who will give you their 17"s for 19's...in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Guarantee you you will find someone who will give you their 17"s for 19's...in a heartbeat!
I am still on the fence. The 19s do perform better but the 17s are more comfortable and a lot less costly to replace. :)

I figure the 17s will out last 19s by 130%. That means I will replace a set of 19 inch tires one more time in 100000 miles. And at about a $400 difference between a set of 17s vs 19s, the cost of maintaining 19s is approximately $2200 in 100K miles.

I can think of a lot of other things that will get my heart pumping like the performance of the 19 inchers for $2200. :)

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I fear for the Q50's success. Has anyone here followed the Dodge Avenger vs. Dodge Dart? Dodge planned for the Dart to replace the Avenger. Yet because Dodge kept selling the Avenger at a discounted price, Avenger sales have surpassed Dart sales and kept the Dart from succeeding, even though the Dart is a better car.

If this happens over at Infiniti, this will be bad news for the Q50 and for Q50 resale values.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am still on the fence. The 19s do perform better but the 17s are more comfortable and a lot less costly to replace. :)

I figure the 17s will out last 19s by 130%. That means I will replace a set of 19 inch tires one more time in 100000 miles. And at about a $400 difference between a set of 17s vs 19s, the cost of maintaining 19s is approximately $2200 in 100K miles.

I can think of a lot of other things that will get my heart pumping like the performance of the 19 inchers for $2200. :)
You can find many more 19inch tires that are more comfortable than the Run Flats that Infiniti is putting on these cars. If you like the look of 19's better, get them, take off the run flats sell them and get better, quieter and longer like tires. That is what I am doing.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I fear for the Q50's success. Has anyone here followed the Dodge Avenger vs. Dodge Dart? Dodge planned for the Dart to replace the Avenger. Yet because Dodge kept selling the Avenger at a discounted price, Avenger sales have surpassed Dart sales and kept the Dart from succeeding, even though the Dart is a better car.

If this happens over at Infiniti, this will be bad news for the Q50 and for Q50 resale values.
The Dodge Avenger/Dart are completely different class of cars than the G37/Q50. I don't think that will happen with Infiniti

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can find many more 19inch tires that are more comfortable than the Run Flats that Infiniti is putting on these cars. If you like the look of 19's better, get them, take off the run flats sell them and get better, quieter and longer like tires. That is what I am doing.
That is a reasonable approach. And, that is what I would intend to do if I decide to keep the 19s. I have not studied the alternatives yet so I don't know the full economics.

I need to call my tire guy and get a more expert opinion.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That is a reasonable approach. And, that is what I would intend to do if I decide to keep the 19s. I have not studied the alternatives yet so I don't know the full economics.

I need to call my tire guy and get a more expert opinion.
Run Flats are inherently noisy and harsh due to the super stiff sidewall which supports the tire if you get a flat and allows you to drive still.

IMO, depending on where you live, urban verses BFE, if I get a flat I call AAA or your Roadside assistance service you get with the car. In fact, on most highways your not allowed to change your tire if you have a flat due to safety reasons. At least it is that way in California. Heck I wouldn't even want to on the freeways around here as fast and bad everyone drives. haha

There are MUCH better tires out there that are cheaper too.

I'll probably get the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2, great performance tires and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't really understand the logic behind the "question" posed here. Nobody is truly buying a Q50, or a G37 for that matter, to have a "true driver's car" because neither live up to that. Same can be said for the A4, 3-series and C-class. These aren't "driver's cars" that we're buying, we're buying entry-level luxury sedans, and with that we're paying extra for the luxury that comes with.

I suppose if you want more drive and less luxury, then go for the outgoing G37 because you will save money, but to me that seems like you weren't really interested in a new model car anyway. For me, I'm attracted to the new model because that's what interested me in the first place. I specifically waited for a new model to come out before deciding on purchasing a new car. I like to have the new aesthetics and all the bells and whistles that will come with it. That's part of the fun in buying a new model vehicle. I like having the dynamics of a "driver's car" but I need a bit more luxury to go with it. I currently drive a Honda S2000, so coming from a driver's car, I know that the ride will be much more comfortable by leaps and bounds of what I'm use to. The majority of us will never street race our cars, although we like to think that would could burn someone off the light if we wanted. In my opinion, if you're looking to save money, buy the G37, but you can't really compare the two cars side by side. The whole point of the Q50 is to create a new image about the brand, not compare it to what it used to be.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I don't really understand the logic behind the "question" posed here. Nobody is truly buying a Q50, or a G37 for that matter, to have a "true driver's car" because neither live up to that. Same can be said for the A4, 3-series and C-class. These aren't "driver's cars" that we're buying, we're buying entry-level luxury sedans, and with that we're paying extra for the luxury that comes with.

I suppose if you want more drive and less luxury, then go for the outgoing G37 because you will save money, but to me that seems like you weren't really interested in a new model car anyway. For me, I'm attracted to the new model because that's what interested me in the first place. I specifically waited for a new model to come out before deciding on purchasing a new car. I like to have the new aesthetics and all the bells and whistles that will come with it. That's part of the fun in buying a new model vehicle. I like having the dynamics of a "driver's car" but I need a bit more luxury to go with it. I currently drive a Honda S2000, so coming from a driver's car, I know that the ride will be much more comfortable by leaps and bounds of what I'm use to. The majority of us will never street race our cars, although we like to think that would could burn someone off the light if we wanted. In my opinion, if you're looking to save money, buy the G37, but you can't really compare the two cars side by side. The whole point of the Q50 is to create a new image about the brand, not compare it to what it used to be.
My sentiments exactly. I am getting the Q50 because I want the latest tech, latest safety, latest design and latest comfort and luxury.

If i wanted a true drivers car, i would have purchased the current gen Corvette C6 Gran Sport for the price of a G37. Or a Mazda Miata or Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS twins for even less.

Besides, it silly to put this up for vote on a Q50 forum. Your results are going to be terribly skewed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Financially the G is a better Lease and a real bargain.
The Q is a better car and can be had with hydraulic steering just like the G. Also, the standard 17 Goodyear RS-A tires on the G are real crap (ask me how I know). If you can afford it get the Q!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The class of cars is besides the point. That example showcases what can happen when eque market cannibalization.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree to a certain extent but remember, the Q40 is in the pipeline and when it drops, the G will vanish. Right now the Q is hot, lots of dealers reporting strong sales from a lot of us that have been waiting and countless others that happened to stumble across it at the dealer.

There is a very clear dividing line between the two if you don't look under the hood. I think buyers are wise enough to know this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.