Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Q50 hive,

Asking the Q50 hive on their experiences with the Dunlop SP 5000 (run flat) tires on the Q50's typically
from 2014 to the 2020 model years...

My personal experiences on the these tires have been less than stellar ! I've had not one but two blow-outs
on two separate occasions with these tires and at $500 each to replace I was pretty upset...seems that
neither Infiniti nor Dunlap wants to address the clear and known defects with these specific tires...

Why does Infiniti continue to use these tires with documented and known issues and potentially unsafe
tires on it's luxury/sport models costing upwards of $60K MSRP ?

I'm ready to turn in my 2016 Silver Sport AWD for a new 2020 Red Sport AWD on a 39 month lease @ $499
per month payment...Needless to say I was very disappointed to see that Infiniti was still using these very
problematic tires on it's top of the line Q50 models...

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This topic has been discussed extensively on these forums. You may want to search those posts.

Most people have tended to agree that they are not a very good tire, especially when compared to their replacement cost.

That said, I see nothing to really complain about. I've never made a car buying decision based on the OEM tire selection, because you can put whatever tire you prefer on a vehicle. During the timeframe of a 39 month lease, you will likely have to replace an OEM set of tires anyway. Might as well, swap the tires right away (if that is what you would prefer) and save the originals for when you turn in the car at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This topic has been discussed extensively on these forums. You may want to search those posts.

Most people have tended to agree that they are not a very good tire, especially when compared to their replacement cost.

That said, I see nothing to really complain about. I've never made a car buying decision based on the OEM tire selection, because you can put whatever tire you prefer on a vehicle. During the timeframe of a 39 month lease, you will likely have to replace an OEM set of tires anyway. Might as well, swap the tires right away (if that is what you would prefer) and save the originals for when you turn in the car at the end of the lease.

I agree that a replacement of the tires will eventually be needed by the time the lease is up...However, as a
new lessee of a $60K+ vehicle one should not have to worry about having a potentially unsafe and defective
set of tires that my family is riding on...

I replaced all four of the tires on my 2016 Q50 SS with the least expensive 245/40R19's I could find which
cost me about $450 installed and it only has 26.9K miles on BTW, and they ride much better than the junk
it had installed when the car was new...

I'm interested to hear if 2018-2020 owners are still having these very issues with the Dunlap SP 5000's and
if Infiniti or Dunlap has done anything to fix the problems with the tires...

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I've written too much on this topic to repeat it. Search the threads. I got rid of the Dumbflop RFTs after 1200 horrible miles on my 2018 RS and sold them. I put Conti DWS 06 tires on and never looked back.

Dumbflop no doubt has a lucrative contract with Nissan to put their miserable tires on various cars including the Infinitis. As long as the accountants are running the show, the engineers take a back seat. Until Nissan wises up and partners up with another tire company, nothing will change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where's the 🍿..?

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
on factory suspension and factory power, they are just fine. There was a surprising amount of grip given the tread width.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
The major monetary "risk" (at least in my opinion) if you buy another set of tires immediately after you lease the car and store the OEM tires to install them just before turning in the car is you're out that money if the car gets totaled before the lease is finished. Unless you're one of those people that will lease the same car consecutive periods (personally I have never loved a car so much that I have wanted the same model right away again).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've written too much on this topic to repeat it. Search the threads. I got rid of the Dumbflop RFTs after 1200 horrible miles on my 2018 RS and sold them. I put Conti DWS 06 tires on and never looked back.

Dumbflop no doubt has a lucrative contract with Nissan to put their miserable tires on various cars including the Infinitis. As long as the accountants are running the show, the engineers take a back seat. Until Nissan wises up and partners up with another tire company, nothing will change.

I'm giving the Continental DWS 06 tires a hard look as a replacement to the horrible Dunlop SP Sport 5000.

I believe the Conti DWS 06 were listed as run flats...? or do they also make a non run flat version ?

Also looking at the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+, Radar Dimax AS8 (non run flat), Kumho Ecsta PS31 (nrf),
Kenda Vezda UHP (nrf).

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'm giving the Continental DWS 06 tires a hard look as a replacement to the horrible Dunlop SP Sport 5000.

I believe the Conti DWS 06 were listed as run flats...? or do they also make a non run flat version ?

Also looking at the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+, Radar Dimax AS8 (non run flat), Kumho Ecsta PS31 (nrf),
Kenda Vezda UHP (nrf).

Thanks for your input.
Those are all non run flat tires.

Personally I'd recommend the DWS06 they are a great blend of performance and comfort. The A/S 3+ are a bit loud and harsh although in terms of raw performance they are probably the best
you can get from an All-season tire.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts

Kenda Vezda UHP (nrf).

Thanks for your input.
The DWS 06 is not a RFT. Conti makes a RFT (ContiProContact SSR) but I don't believe it is available in the proper size for the Q50. Regardless, it is rated poorly, mainly for premature wear and poor wet-handling.

You can't go wrong with the DWS 06 or the Pilot 3+, IMHO.

·
Registered
629 Posts
No issues here with almost 20,000 miles. One blowout on the highway after hitting a huge pothole. Drove to a safe location for a tow.

I don’t subscribe to conspiracy theories nor do I believe hysterical comments concerning the tires. Clearly they are not the best tires you can buy. However some lucky buyers get brand new tires on previously leased cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The DWS 06 is not a RFT. Conti makes a RFT (ContiProContact SSR) but I don't believe it is available in the proper size for the Q50. Regardless, it is rated poorly, mainly for premature wear and poor wet-handling.

You can't go wrong with the DWS 06 or the Pilot 3+, IMHO.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Continental DWS 06 tires right now...

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same as Jeffpeds. Haven't had an issue with my tire's and i'm at nearly 30k miles driving in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in all sorts of weather. I've hit some serious potholes and had no blowouts. I recently had 10k service at the dealer and they mentioned they will likely need to be replaced at the next service.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I'm definitely leaning towards the Continental DWS 06 tires right now...

Thanks again fellas.
Trust me, you'll notice the improvement immediately. Post up your impressions when you do switch tires, whatever you buy.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Same as Jeffpeds. Haven't had an issue with my tire's and i'm at nearly 30k miles driving in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in all sorts of weather. I've hit some serious potholes and had no blowouts. I recently had 10k service at the dealer and they mentioned they will likely need to be replaced at the next service.
I'm honestly impressed you've gotten that many miles out of the tire, it's definitely not been the case for a large part of the community that said not all roads are the same.
I personally wouldn't keep them on and would rather just shelve the tires for when the lease was due and swap them back.

But that's just me, if people manage to get a full life out of the tires all the power to them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well stated.

Now if I believed strangers on the internet, hysterical and over the top comments I would have changed the tires. Fortunately I haven’t believed fairy tales since I was a child. When anyone on the internet says trust me I run away faster than a Olympic runner.

30k is about right. I suspect I will change mine in another 10k if I keep the car that long. Most likely I will switch to another RF.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts