Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm honestly impressed you've gotten that many miles out of the tire, it's definitely not been the case for a large part of the community that said not all roads are the same.
I personally wouldn't keep them on and would rather just shelve the tires for when the lease was due and swap them back.

But that's just me, if people manage to get a full life out of the tires all the power to them.
The tires have proven to be pretty darn good. Clearly they are not the best. However I have no issues with them in the rain or snow. I would suspect women whom don’t frequently drive or young teens may differ though. They do ride rough however and that is a trade off. They are expensive and that is why I have wheel and tire insurance.

If you take time to actually research the forum it’s only a minority that have issues with the tires. There is a very vocal minority of about 10-20 members that absolutely hate the tires. With some 200,000 Q50’s on the road I would consider that minuscule at best.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,614 Posts
Just show me one person here or anywhere else for that matter who switched from the Dumbflop RFTs to another UHP tire and regrets doing so. Good luck.

Just go to Tirerack and read all the reviews about the Dumbflop RFTs. It's the worst RFT on the market, bar none.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Even though it’s the season to believe in miracles and fantasy.

I hope at your age you would understand very few people if any will ever admit to a expensive or unnecessary expense. Especially to complete strangers on the internet.

I would also hope elderly people would also have enough wisdom as to not believe anonymous reviews on various websites.

Nobody is saying the Dunlop’s are the best tires by any stretch. However I would think most here would never believe when some anonymous person say’s “trust me” on the internet of all places. When certain members continuously rail against something with over the top and absolutely hysterical comments I become suspicious. Especially when members make up cute names to bash the tires like a teenaged girl and become hysterical like one when describing them.

I have had zero issues with these tires. I drive in the rain, snow, and from Chicago to Florida and back. I can only express my personal experience. With close to 20,000 miles the tires are still able to grip and handle very well. However I consider myself a rather good driver. Again I can understand women whom don’t drive often or teen drivers having issues with the Dunlop’s.

The tires do wear sooner and ride rougher than other tires. However it’s a trade off with RF’s.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even though it’s the season to believe in miracles and fantasy.

I hope at your age you would understand very few people if any will ever admit to a expensive or unnecessary expense. Especially to complete strangers on the internet.

I would also hope elderly people would also have enough wisdom as to not believe anonymous reviews on various websites.

Nobody is saying the Dunlop’s are the best tires by any stretch. However I would think most here would never believe when some anonymous person say’s “trust me” on the internet of all places. When certain members continuously rail against something with over the top and absolutely hysterical comments I become suspicious. Especially when members make up cute names to bash the tires like a teenaged girl and become hysterical when describing them.

I have had zero issues with these tires. I drive in the rain, snow, and from Chicago to Florida. I can only express my personal experience. With close to 20,000 miles the tires are still able to grip and handle very well. However I consider myself a rather good driver. Again I can understand women whom don’t drive often or teen drivers having issues with the Dunlop’s.

The tires do wear sooner and ride rougher than other tires. However it’s a trade off with RF’s.
What makes a good driver is very subjective from one person to the next. Generalizing an entire segment of people's driving skill based on gender and age is also very subjective. So in your opinion, as long as you can live with the rough ride, premature wear, expensive price, and limited traction in severe conditions. You should consider this tire as long as you are a male over the age of 20, and a rather good driver?

Reactions: Dr69er

·
Registered
744 Posts
What makes a good driver is very subjective from one person to the next. Generalizing an entire segment of people's driving skill based on gender and age is also very subjective. So in your opinion, as long as you can live with the rough ride, premature wear, expensive price, and limited traction in severe conditions. You should consider this tire as long as you are a male over the age of 20, and a rather good driver?
But your claims are also a generalization. Limited traction? I would have to say I’ve had no issues driving in the snow in Chicago and Wisconsin. I have also had no issues driving in torrential rain in southern states.

The little rougher ride in a luxury car like the Q50 is not a issue for me. I could understand older people with medical issues or severe back pain needing a softer ride though. Premature wear is very common with RF’s. I’ve had to replace them on other cars and I consider it a trade off. I’ve driven on RF’s since they were first introduced years ago on Corvettes. The expense for me is not a issue with wheel and tire insurance. Now if I drove a Nissan Sentra or a Mazda for example, expense may be a issue.

·
Registered
663 Posts
But your claims are also a generalization. Limited traction? I would have to say I’ve had no issues driving in the snow in Chicago and Wisconsin. I have also had no issues driving in torrential rain in southern states.

The little rougher ride in a luxury car like the Q50 is not a issue for me. I could understand older people with medical issues or severe back pain needing a softer ride though. Premature wear is very common with RF’s. I’ve had to replace them on other cars and I consider it a trade off. I’ve driven on RF’s since they were first introduced years ago on Corvettes. The expense for me is not a issue with wheel and tire insurance. Now if I drove a Nissan Sentra or a Mazda for example, expense may be a issue.
Not really a generalization, I'm not talking about all RFT's just the ones I have driven on which happens to be the "Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT". And all those critiques you mentioned yourself, save for the limited traction part. I get your point about not taking internet reviews as gospel. But the negative reviews for this product far outnumber the good, on several sites and forums.

You seem to have had a good experience with these tires. How do these compare to other RFTs you have owned? Would you buy them again?

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1 Posts
The tires have proven to be pretty darn good. Clearly they are not the best. However I have no issues with them in the rain or snow. I would suspect women whom don’t frequently drive or young teens may differ though. They do ride rough however and that is a trade off. They are expensive and that is why I have wheel and tire insurance.

If you take time to actually research the forum it’s only a minority that have issues with the tires. There is a very vocal minority of about 10-20 members that absolutely hate the tires. With some 200,000 Q50’s on the road I would consider that minuscule at best.
Hey - just wanted to mention that there are many inactive users which have appreciated and reacted based on posts from others. I had a horrible experience with these tires - 2 out of round that the tire warranty replaced with 500 miles on my car - 1 blow out which I replaced - and about 10 trips to various dealers and shops to road force the tires appropriately. I ditched runflats all together and purchased a tire plug kit which now sits in my trunk and the roadside assistance from my insurance (in case it's raining and I don't feel like plugging my flat tire), and I wish I did so on day 1. The car rides beautifully now and I've got the old POS tires stored in my basement for when I return it off lease.

--- Signed silent user who knows how to use the forum search feature and make my own decisions

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,614 Posts
Hey - just wanted to mention that there are many inactive users which have appreciated and reacted based on posts from others. I had a horrible experience with these tires - 2 out of round that the tire warranty replaced with 500 miles on my car - 1 blow out which I replaced - and about 10 trips to various dealers and shops to road force the tires appropriately. I ditched runflats all together and purchased a tire plug kit which now sits in my trunk and the roadside assistance from my insurance (in case it's raining and I don't feel like plugging my flat tire), and I wish I did so on day 1. The car rides beautifully now and I've got the old POS tires stored in my basement for when I return it off lease.

--- Signed silent user who knows how to use the forum search feature and make my own decisions
Virtually all the Tirerack reviews on the Dumbflops have been written by Q50 owners and their experience with them mirrors your own. If having a set of RFTs on your car is important to you, any other manufacturer's RFT would be better than staying with the Dumbflops. Still, the best RFTs can not compete with regular UHP tires when you compare metrics.

Reactions: Dr69er

·
Registered
836 Posts
Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not really a generalization, I'm not talking about all RFT's just the ones I have driven on which happens to be the "Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT". And all those critiques you mentioned yourself, save for the limited traction part. I get your point about not taking internet reviews as gospel. But the negative reviews for this product far outnumber the good, on several sites and forums.

You seem to have had a good experience with these tires. How do these compare to other RTFs you have owned? Would you buy them again?

Again, the Dunlop’s are not the best RF tires available. However they are not nearly as bad as a 3 or 4 very vocal members make them out to be. One of the main reasons I chime in on this topic is the absolute absurd and over the top comments made about the tires along with the adolescent names used to describe them. Teen girls on Facebook are probably less hysterical about a cheating boyfriend than a certain member is over these tires. If I keep the car long enough I will most likely switch to a different RF though.

When I read old men using adolescent like names to bash the tires and posting hysterical and over the top comments about them I become suspicious. When I see the same people quoting anonymous comments on a internet site I become even more suspicious and cautious.

I can only relate to my experience, and clearly others have said the same things I have posted about the Dunlop’s. I have zero issues with traction in extreme weather and with around 20,000 miles the tires grip and handle well. As discussed they are expensive and they ride rougher than non RF’s. However like anything there are pros and cons with RF’s.

I always use caution when members on any site neglect or purposely leave out either the pro or the con. These are usually the type of people that say “trust me” on the internet of all places. Never trust anyone that leaves out the good or bad in anything. Usually the only people that purposely leave out the good or bad are salespeople, con artists or have a arrogance that is extreme.

We also need to remember the few vocal members on this forum that consistently bash the tires are a extreme minority of Q50 owners. With 200,000 Q50’s sold there are only a few members on this site that bash the Dunlop’s on a consistent basis. The number is below minuscule to say the least.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
62 Posts
Hello Q50 hive,

Asking the Q50 hive on their experiences with the Dunlop SP 5000 (run flat) tires on the Q50's typically
from 2014 to the 2020 model years...

My personal experiences on the these tires have been less than stellar ! I've had not one but two blow-outs
on two separate occasions with these tires and at $500 each to replace I was pretty upset...seems that
neither Infiniti nor Dunlap wants to address the clear and known defects with these specific tires...

Why does Infiniti continue to use these tires with documented and known issues and potentially unsafe
tires on it's luxury/sport models costing upwards of $60K MSRP ?

I'm ready to turn in my 2016 Silver Sport AWD for a new 2020 Red Sport AWD on a 39 month lease @ $499
per month payment...Needless to say I was very disappointed to see that Infiniti was still using these very
problematic tires on it's top of the line Q50 models...

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
These tires are complete garbage !! I had 3 blowouts in the course of two months when i first bought my redsport. They don’t even perform well and if you go on tirerack.com it is the lowest rated “performance “ tire in the segment . I eventually swapped them out for Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 plus and I now have completely different drive . It’s an all season tire that rides well, corners well and last long. it’s great car but my advice would be to save some money and switch the tires out immediately because In my experience it’s downright dangerous to be driving on them

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,614 Posts
These tires are complete garbage !! I had 3 blowouts in the course of two months when i first bought my redsport. They don’t even perform well and if you go on tirerack.com it is the lowest rated “performance “ tire in the segment . I eventually swapped them out for Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 plus and I now have completely different drive . It’s an all season tire that rides well, corners well and last long. it’s great car but my advice would be to save some money and switch the tires out immediately because In my experience it’s downright dangerous to be driving on them
Amen! Makes you wonder what Infiniti was thinking when they decided to put those POS Dumbflop RFTs on their vehicles.

Reactions: MrDemon400rs16

·
Registered
744 Posts
Same as Jeffpeds. Haven't had an issue with my tire's and i'm at nearly 30k miles driving in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in all sorts of weather. I've hit some serious potholes and had no blowouts. I recently had 10k service at the dealer and they mentioned they will likely need to be replaced at the next service.
Amen! Makes you wonder why certain very old members post over the top hysterical comments and make up cute names to describe them as a 10 year old would.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Changed out my RFTs at 30k miles. They actually were pretty good to me - never had a bubble or blown sidewall with them, but they were a pretty harsh ride and wet weather traction, or lack thereof, had me feeling like I was driving on ice. I changed to DWS06 and they have great characteristics - ride is great, handling is good, and all weather traction is perfect for NJ. I've just had bad luck with them with punctures (first trashed a brand new tire, the other is currently plugged) and multiple sidewall bubbles. I bought the set of Performance Package wheels that were for sale last month so after this season I'll use my stock wheels for winter with snow tires and keep summer tires on my new-to-me RAYS wheels.

Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,614 Posts
Changed out my RFTs at 30k miles. They actually were pretty good to me - never had a bubble or blown sidewall with them, but they were a pretty harsh ride and wet weather traction, or lack thereof, had me feeling like I was driving on ice. I changed to DWS06 and they have great characteristics - ride is great, handling is good, and all weather traction is perfect for NJ. I've just had bad luck with them with punctures (first trashed a brand new tire, the other is currently plugged) and multiple sidewall bubbles. I bought the set of Performance Package wheels that were for sale last month so after this season I'll use my stock wheels for winter with snow tires and keep summer tires on my new-to-me RAYS wheels.
I've got 18,000 miles on my DWS 06 tires and no problems whatsoever. I'm still showing the "S" indicator on the tires so the tread depth is holding up fairly well. You must have some crappy roads in NJ.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Awesome post.

The OEM RF’s as we all know are not the best. However they are not nearly as bad as a very few vocal members claim. Again those that blast these tires are a minuscule amount of Q50 owners to say the least. That along with the childlike names and hysterical over the top comments have little or no credibility with a very large majority of Q50 owners.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,614 Posts
Awesome double post troll. I'll take my credibility here over yours any day. I've helped countless people here with their technical questions about the Q50. I've never seen you help anyone with a technical question about their Q50. You just post opinions on ancillary subjects and post personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with you. Remember your ridiculous over-the-top and hysterical statements about Canada? I said it then and I'll say it again now. You have issues.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Awesome double post troll. I'll take my credibility here over yours any day. I've helped countless people here with their technical questions about the Q50. I've never seen you help anyone with a technical question about their Q50. You just post opinions on ancillary subjects and post personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with you. Remember your ridiculous over-the-top and hysterical statements about Canada? I said it then and I'll say it again now. You have issues.
The stalker strikes again.
There you go again with personal attacks. You can’t handle being called out as a bully and making hysterical over the top comments, along with making up cute child like names to describe things you dislike.

My comments about Canada were in defense of this great country the United States. A Canadian bashed this country. However it’s more important to you to suck up to your fanboys than defend your country. You can’t help yourself but to involve yourself in every topic in your rather pathetic attempt to be the top contributor every month.

Often your so called help is demeaning to new members in your attempt to run the forum.

I as many others understand you like to post a lot and strive every month to be listed as the top contributor. As for credibility. You have a few loyal fan boys that sometimes come to your defense and occasionally assist you in your bullying tactics. However for the amount of posts you have, your following is extremely weak at best.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts