Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite “Search Community” has left me still asking the question - What brake pad is recommended for street driving with Z1’s 2-piece sprinkle slotted rotors?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the Carbotech 1521 pads with the 2 piece rotors. I went with these since the pads can be swapped with the Carbotech track pads without having to resurface or change the rotors (Carbotech says all of their pads are compatible allowing quick changes). I think the 1521s are great for street use but are pricey. I don't have much noise with them. If I were designing a perfect street pad, I would want something a bit more aggressive than these but less the the XP12/XP10 I run for track days.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
My favorite “Search Community” has left me still asking the question - What brake pad is recommended for street driving with Z1’s 2-piece sprinkle slotted rotors?

Thoughts?
I'm using Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Q with my Stoptech BBK. I had too much noise with the Hawk Ceramic Performance, so I tried these instead - so far, so good.

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
109 Posts
I'm using Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Q with my Stoptech BBK. I had too much noise with the Hawk Ceramic Performance, so I tried these instead - so far, so good.
Been reading a lot of great things regarding the Hawk HPS pads, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I notice on Z1's website they have 3 options (DTC 30, 60, 70); I do not track/race my car but I do enjoy getting after it so I'm thinking the 30s or 60s. Thoughts on the 60s?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,325 Posts
I have the Carbotech 1521 pads with the 2 piece rotors. I went with these since the pads can be swapped with the Carbotech track pads without having to resurface or change the rotors (Carbotech says all of their pads are compatible allowing quick changes). I think the 1521s are great for street use but are pricey. I don't have much noise with them. If I were designing a perfect street pad, I would want something a bit more aggressive than these but less the the XP12/XP10 I run for track days.
100% this,

carbotech 1521 is arguably the best all around spirited sporty street pad, especially on a daily driver Works well in cold weather, has low dusting and low noise, great initial bite. Ideal operating temp is what range you’ll be in for a spirited street car 32-800ºF (0-426ºC), ideal for back road, canyon, spirited driving, and some autox, they are however not up to the task of track use but you would want to run a dedicated track pad anyways.

Reactions: Alto101 and Q50Wolf

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
109 Posts
100% this,

carbotech 1521 is arguably the best all around spirited sporty street pad, especially on a daily driver Works well in cold weather, has low dusting and low noise, great initial bite. Ideal operating temp is what range you’ll be in for a spirited street car 32-800ºF (0-426ºC), ideal for back road, canyon, spirited driving, and some autox, they are however not up to the task of track use but you would want to run a dedicated track pad anyways.
Thanks @17awdQ50P , you basically described what I was looking for. I've heard mixed reviews on the noise from the pads, what's your experience been like?

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks @17awdQ50P , you basically described what I was looking for. I've heard mixed reviews on the noise from the pads, what's your experience been like?
The only noise I have is when I release the brakes there is a noise from the rear. My performance shop says it is normal and everything works great, no noise while stopping. I watched a lot of reviews of the Z1 2 piece rotors and many people have squealing noises when they are cold but I don't. I think it is down to pad choice but am guessing here.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,325 Posts
Possibly from not following proper beddding/break in procedure. As they should be pretty quiet.

For the Bobcat Street Pads - use caution when driving immediately after installing new pads - brake efficiency, noise, and dusting will not be optimal until the pads are 'broken in'. As the Pads are broken in, brake feel will improve, any 'squealing' noises will diminish, and the amount of brake dust will be reduced.

BED IN PROCEDURE FOR THE BOBCAT STREET PADS

1. Brake from 60mph down to 30mph about 4-6 times.
  2. Then let your brakes cool for about 2-3 minutes while driving.
  3. Repeat step # 1.
  4. Allow the brake pads and discs to cool down to ambient temperature (about 30 minutes or more).
NOTE: Proper bedding of pads & rotors will result in greater performance and longer pad & rotor wear.

They are not the craziest performance pad possible obviously, basically like an oem++ pad. Should provide a a little better performance overall vs stock with minimal to no down side. The more aggressive the pad the more compromises especially on a street pad (noise,dust, heat range etc…)

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
135 Posts
A few more comments. I would recommend replacing your OEM brake lines with the stainless steel kit Z1 sells for better pedal feel. Also, make sure to follow the bed-in process for whatever pads you go with. Even after doing this, it took a good amount of miles with my new 2 piece rotors and pads to really feel the improvement. It is also a great time to replace the OEM brake fluid with something like RBF 600

·
Registered
433 Posts
@[email protected] I used these and they have been fantastic XT970 for the fronts:

And XT960's for the rears:

It says they're for the G37 / 370Z but they will fit the Q50. With these pads, my car stops on a dime gives me 9 cents change.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
179 Posts

Thoughts?
I'm using EBC Red Stuff. Great initial bite and better fade control for aggressive canyon runs. They do emit a fair amount of dust, but I think it's comparable to the factory pads. Even after the bedding procedure, EBC recommends driving under normal, urban conditions for about 1k miles until the brake pads reach maximum potential.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD
109 Posts
I can recommend what pads NOT to get...the Centric Posi Quiet. So far, in my experience, they are anything but quiet. On warm/dry days, they are fine. But when they are cold/wet, they make an awful squeal. I did the proper bedding procedure, twice now, and they still do it. They perform just fine, in all scenarios, but the noise when cold/wet is so obnoxious. I will be looking to swap out the pads in a few months if it does not get any better.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
179 Posts
I can recommend what pads NOT to get...the Centric Posi Quiet. So far, in my experience, they are anything but quiet. On warm/dry days, they are fine. But when they are cold/wet, they make an awful squeal. I did the proper bedding procedure, twice now, and they still do it. They perform just fine, in all scenarios, but the noise when cold/wet is so obnoxious. I will be looking to swap out the pads in a few months if it does not get any better.
Curious to know if you reapplied brake squeal or lube after the initial inspection. That may help.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,474 Posts
I stuck with the OEM pads when I installed my 2-piecers. Not opposed to aftermarket pads when the time comes. But, for now, OEM works well. Took a little while to bed though.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD
109 Posts
Curious to know if you reapplied brake squeal or lube after the initial inspection. That may help.
Not yet, but I will give that a try

Reactions: n1ck!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts