Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the FUCA from @z1motorsports . The install went easy enough, thankfully didn't have to remove the front coil assembly. I adjusted it to its max since the car sits pretty low; more of a guess than a proper alignment. There are also pics of the before and after wheel angle.

More to follow...

Installed

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
remind me...you installed the rsr springs?

maybe you can add some info in your signature to help the elderly with memory problems.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Interesting... thanks for sharing. Looks like you have the RS-R Down Springs.

For my '17 Q60 AWD, I went RS-R Best*I Active C/Os (w/DDS) and SPL AUCAs. I noticed the difference in the # of free coils between the two setups.

How easy is it to adjust the camber & caster? As a stop-gap for a professional (re-) alignment, I used this tool (below) to adjust the camber, as the shop that installed the C/Os and suspension pieces initially set my front camber @ -2.5, which was too aggressive for the street, and caused my tire pressures to increase to 6-7 psi over cold. With the SPL UACAs, I can use a floor jack to access the adjusters, loosen the blue pinch bolts, and then the adjusters just require a hex socket. I then lower the car and check my settings with the tool below. I set the front camber to match the rears @ -1.5.

Example of tool setup:

Reactions: n1ck!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
remind me...you installed the rsr springs?

maybe you can add some info in your signature to help the elderly with memory problems.
Yes, I installed the RS-R Superdowns (part N144-S). I'll get that siggy updated 😁

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting... thanks for sharing. Looks like you have the RS-R Down Springs.

For my '17 Q60 AWD, I went RS-R Best*I Active C/Os (w/DDS) and SPL AUCAs. I noticed the difference in the # of free coils between the two setups.
View attachment 97525
How easy is it to adjust the camber & caster? As a stop-gap for a professional (re-) alignment, I used this tool (below) to adjust the camber, as the shop that installed the C/Os and suspension pieces initially set my front camber @ -2.5, which was too aggressive for the street, and caused my tire pressures to increase to 6-7 psi over cold. With the SPL UACAs, I can use a floor jack to access the adjusters, loosen the blue pinch bolts, and then the adjusters just require a hex socket. I then lower the car and check my settings with the tool below. I set the front camber to match the rears @ -1.5.

Example of tool setup:
View attachment 97526
The Z1 is a much simpler (i.e. cheaper) setup than the SPLs. While your SPLs are infinitely easier to adjust, I would have to remove my UCAs from the chassis to change arm length, OR, remove the pinch bolt from the steering knuckle, pop out the Heim joint, then make the adjustment. As it sits, I'm already maxed out at all adjustment points, so this is as good as it gets for me.

I knew it was going to be a pain, but I also knew I was only going to make adjustments once or twice since I don't track the car. The SPLs would be VERY helpful if I need to make several adjustments throughout the year.

Your setup is GREAT!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After driving around for a bit, I am hearing a noise from the right fenderwell. After an initial inspection, I didn't notice anything in particular. It didn't affect steering or response. On the Z1 website, they said they may see this issue on a 370Z, but not Infiniti models. I may be the first?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
After driving around for a bit, I am hearing a noise from the right fenderwell. After an initial inspection, I didn't notice anything in particular.
Did you grease the Zerk fittings (red caps in your picture)?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did you grease the Zerk fittings (red caps in your picture)?
I had to fully pull out those bushings and grease it all up initially. The zerk fitting is for easy maintenance/servicing beyond the initial greasing.

i wrongly assumed it was greased from manufacturer, made lots of noise, tried filling it with zerk fitting first, still made noise. Pulled bushing greased her up. Now silent.

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to fully pull out those bushings and grease it all up initially. The zerk fitting is for easy maintenance/servicing beyond the initial greasing.

i wrongly assumed it was greased from manufacturer, made lots of noise, tried filling it with zerk fitting first, still made noise. Pulled bushing greased her up. Now silent.
I accidentally over-greased one through the fitting and popped one end of the bushing out :rolleyes::eek::D

·
Registered
426 Posts
I accidentally over-greased one through the fitting and popped one end of the bushing out :rolleyes::eek::D
Probably the front right axle. This is a known issue on awd Q50s with the rsr superdowns. that the front right axle isn’t long enough with the rsr superdowns causes weird clunking noises and eventually gives out. There is a direct swap alternative that is like 1/2” longer.
Could be the issue.

Reactions: n1ck!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably the front right axle. This is a known issue on awd Q50s with the rsr superdowns. that the front right axle isn’t long enough with the rsr superdowns causes weird clunking noises and eventually gives out. There is a direct swap alternative that is like 1/2” longer.
Could be the issue.
That's good to know. But I have a RWD.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Found the culprit(s). At full compression, there was a ground bolt that was making contact with the right arm. Additionally, there are two spots that make contact with a seam. I'll hammer it down slightly and hope that fixes it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts