Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Do a
I'll use my temp gun next track day for all the nay sayers lol. Then I'll throw on the ducting and shoot it with the gun after a full hot session. Then we will see who's the dummy hehe. Also I do sub 1:30 in my Q at Streets of Willow for anyone who might want to pick apart my future claims.

Setting reminder to come back with an update.
How about a run with, say, the PS either disconnected or plugged and the DS enabled. Perfect A-B comparison.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Do a

How about a run with, say, the PS either disconnected or plugged and the DS enabled. Perfect A-B comparison.
PS?
DS?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Where is the emoji that looks down and slowly shakes his head back and forth? On maxima.org, it was :rotz:

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Where is the emoji that looks down and slowly shakes his head back and forth? On maxima.org, it was :rotz:

Thought it was odd to stand for
PferdStarke
And
Diagnostics Software

Now it makes more sense.

Btw,
How do you like the FI, LDP, with TC?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Thought it was odd to stand for
PferdStarke
And
Diagnostics Software

Now it makes more sense.

Btw,
How do you like the FI, LDP, with TC?
It's "OK". :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Happened to come across this article on brake ducts for the track by Essex:

Do I need brake ducts on my track car? | Essex Parts Services, Inc.

WHY DO YOU THINK YOU NEED BRAKE DUCTS?
What data do you have that suggests you need brake ducts? Our customers are typically stumped when we ask them this question, since the vast majority have not collected any data on their brake system! They have no idea what temperatures their discs, pads, or calipers are reaching while on track. They may also have not collected any data on how many track miles or sessions they’re getting out of their brake pads or discs. Their overarching belief that cooler brakes must be better brakes is many times their only motivation for installing ducts.

Before you even think about adding brake ducts to your track car, you should have a solid impetus for doing so. The list of brake problems below are all caused by discs that are running too hot. Experiencing any of these issues would suggest that your discs might benefit from lower operating temperatures:

• You are experiencing pad fade despite running high-quality racing pads. Pad fade is when your brake pedal remains firm, but you suddenly must push the brake pedal much harder to slow the car at the same rate.
  • You’re using high-quality racing pads, but they are burning up at a rate that is financially unsustainable. We’ve seen people go through a complete set of pads in as little as two or three twenty-minute track sessions. Your annual track budget can evaporate in a hurry at that rate!
  • Your discs wear our prematurely. At extreme temperatures, some pads become very aggressive on the disc friction face.
  • You are running a top-tier brake fluid with a high dry boiling point, but it is boiling on track and causing a soft brake pedal.
  • Your caliper piston seals are getting so hot that they are losing their elasticity, leaking, and require frequent replacement.
  • Your suspension ball joints are wearing out due to radiated heat from your brakes.
  • Anodized hats and calipers are discoloring, usually turning brown. Don’t confuse this with painted calipers discoloring, since paint cannot even handle normal track temperatures in many cases. Anodizing withstands heat much better.
If you have any or some of the above problems, that still doesn’t necessarily mean you should install brake ducts. Ducts are just one potential path towards lowering brake temperatures. The reality is that they are one of the most, if not the most, complicated solution. Anyone who has ever installed brake ducts on their track car will likely tell you that they can be a royal pain to install and maintain. It’s tough getting them to fit. Once you do, it’s hard keeping the pieces all connected. The wires poke through the hoses. You can’t turn your car to full lock without your front tires rubbing them. Carbon pieces are fragile and crack easily. And, routing everything can be a huge hassle. If you can avoid them and still solve your brake problems via an alternate route, we strongly suggest you do so!

Unless properly designed and installed, brake ducts can do more harm than good. An effective brake cooling system, when needed, increases the air flow to the brake components, keeps all brake components in their proper temperature ranges, and cools the discs evenly.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Thanks Iridium.

Folks will still debate.

I was running small brakes on a 3600# car with Dba rotors and carbotech pads. zero issues other than surface cracks on rotors from all the heat. I still debated if I should or should not and the race shop wasnt one way or another about it.

I may have benefited.

As the article points out, there has to be a good reason.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
While I don't feel brake ducts are necessary for the vast majority of us, I do think the article exaggerates the cons.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Happened to come across this article on brake ducts for the track by Essex:
Solid article. It is by a salesman basically saying “don’t buy this product buy our product” and
It does also seem to be more aimed at dedicated track cars or at least more than just the casual track goer. I don’t necessarily disagree with anything per-say

but,

The only real “con” listed that seemed to be a little over “exaggerating” for a lack of a better word. Is proper setup. which i agree on some cars in some scenarios proper setup can be a bit difficult, and using inferior products like in anything else will have draw backs to better quality products.

I still think in some cases it can be a good stop gap for someone who doesn’t want to jump to a full track BBK setup with an aggressive dusty/noisy track pad but wants to occasionally go to the track on their street brake setup and not have to worry too much.

They did have a very good point/ illustration on a proper solution aiming air at the center instead of the face.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
The beginning question of that article is the same question I ask folks who want more power.

Guy shows up with an Audi S4 asking to have downpipes installed so he can do better at the track.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

My first set of questions were: what pads are you running...what tires...have you done an alignment....

He was on factory brakes, tires, and alignment...good luck.

They had a fantastic suspension tech at the time. He gave the kid some solid advice...as he had given me sometime earlier.

I really miss track days.

Complete stress relief.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts