Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After learning that the Q50 has a plastic oil pan, I've been a little leery about the safety of the undercarriage of this car.

Reading about the fiasco that dal3_gribble went through after hitting a piece of wood on the freeway convinced me that I needed to do something to protect the oil pan. So I asked the wife for the Z1 undershroud for X-mas. It finally showed up yesterday. I know this thing isn't bulletproof or anything, but it makes me feel better, especially with the car being lowered.

Installation was super easy, other than installing the Riv nuts. Never done that before and the tool that Z1 gives you to do it is a joke. Installing riv nuts with 2 wrenches while laying on your back is stupid. Other than that the process was super simple.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Aviation

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts
I would highly suggest installing a billet oil pan from Dropbear, llc. They are currently organizing a group buy and I signed up.

· Super Moderator
4,220 Posts
I would highly suggest installing a billet oil pan from Dropbear, llc. They are currently organizing a group buy and I signed up.
That's what I did. The Dropbear oil pan is Aluminum, so it still can be punctured, however, it is less susceptible to stripping out of the drain plug insert, unlike the OEM composite pan. It adds 1 quart of oil capacity, and if you track and/or Auto-X your Q, the Dropbear pan also has better fluid damming around the oil pickup to prevent potential oil starvation.

Reactions: Kraken

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

$650? Yikes.

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Q50Wolf

· Super Moderator
4,220 Posts

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts

Went ahead and ordered the Z1 aluminum oil pan and undershroud with a new gasket. Do I need to use anything on the gasket when installing? Also, Can someone please share the proper riv nut tool on Amazon? I need to order it asap as I'll be hitting the road on Friday afternoon and want to get all this installed in advance. TIA

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went ahead and ordered the Z1 aluminum oil pan and undershroud with a new gasket. Do I need to use anything on the gasket when installing? Also, Can someone please share the proper riv nut tool on Amazon? I need to order it asap as I'll be hitting the road on Friday afternoon and want to get all this installed in advance. TIA
If you won't ever be installing rivnuts again, I'm not sure I'd buy the tool. Might be better to just suffer through using the supplied one rather than buying something you'll never use again. Do you have a friend that's got one you could borrow?

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for the advice. I don't know anyone locally. Z1 specified the oil pan gasket gets installed with no silicone, etc.

Reactions: darien87

· Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal. Thanks for the advice. I don't know anyone locally. Z1 specified the oil pan gasket gets installed with no silicone, etc.
Just try what I noted in Nick's thread. Don't drill the holes out all the way. Try using a 3/8" bit so you can tap the rivnuts in and have them be a little snug. That way you're not fighting gravity trying to pull them back out.

Then, keep your hands close together, (about 30 degree angle) when you're using the tool. I found this enabled me to put a lot more torque on it. Hopefully my crude drawing makes sense.
Human body Wood Rectangle Font Slope

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts
That helps. Much appreciated 👍Waiting on the parts to get here as I'm due for an oil change and want to get everything installed for my road trip this weekend

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Have we confirmed Drop Bear is compatible Z1 undershroud?

· Premium Member
452 Posts
Have we confirmed Drop Bear is compatible Z1 undershroud?
Yes, you’ll need to shave down one of the screws for the service panel to ensure the screw doesn’t damage the oil pan - other than that, perfect fit. The Drop Bear oil pan is beautiful and high quality.

· Premium Member
Jacksonville, FL
421 Posts
  • Helpful

· Premium Member
Allen, Texas
1,024 Posts
The Drop Bear oil pan is beautiful and high quality.
I’m looking forward to their next RWD run and picking up one. Would I need / want an under shroud with the Drop Bear oil pan - the weak point of the OEM plastic oil pan being moot now?!?

· Premium Member
452 Posts
I’m looking forward to their next RWD run and picking up one. Would I need / want an under shroud with the Drop Bear oil pan - the weak point of the OEM plastic oil pan being moot now?!?
Valid point…piece of mind for me knowing it’s protected as it’s not a cheap modification.

· Premium Member
Allen, Texas
1,024 Posts
…it’s not a cheap modification.
Truer words have never been spoken - but I am convincing myself it is a dual mod investment - increased oil capacity as well as removing a potential OEM failure point.

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Yes, you’ll need to shave down one of the screws for the service panel to ensure the screw doesn’t damage the oil pan - other than that, perfect fit. The Drop Bear oil pan is beautiful and high quality.
That's right! TY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts