30Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)

Default How To: Add Spare Tire Kit to a 2017 Q50

I purchased a new 2017 Q50S at the end of March. It did not come with the spare tire. In fact, Infiniti has gone so far as to almost eliminate that as an option (more on that later).

After investigating how much trunk space I'd lose with the spare tire added, I decided to look for all of the parts to add it myself. The trunk space is not much of an issue for me, since we use our Rogue to do any kind of significant hauling.

Here is what I did to get the parts and install them. Note, you will see further on that Infiniti doesn't include all of the bolt holes necessary to truly add this as if it was from the factory. However, as you'll see, the way I installed it works great and is fully secure.

Parts You'll Need
1. Spare Tire/Wheel T145/70R18
2. Front Foam Insert
3. Left Foam Insert
4. Right Foam Insert
5. Inside Wheel Foam Insert
6. Jack and Jack crank Parts
7. Felt Blanket for Trunk with Spare
8. Cross Bar (recommended but not required)
9. 4 Thick Adhesive Rubber Pads (with single white lines on them)
10. Trunk Mat for Trunk with Spare
11. All Season Trunk Mat for Trunk with Spare (recommended but not required)
** Note, I didn't list the hub clamp parts, because if your Q50 is like mine you'll have no where to bolt it to! (strange is the spare even an option anymore?)

You have a couple options on where to get the parts. You can try and dig through Ebay, Facebook, Infiniti Parts through a Dealer, etc... However, I recommend you go straight to a salvage yard. Look for a car that is only damaged in the front or sides and that the trunk is in tact. I found the following website which is a central search site for salvage yards around the US. There are plenty of Q50 parts listed there! I was able to get everything listed above from one source and one 2015 Q50 shipped to me for only $320 and was all in great shape!

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Here is the spare tire/wheel I received.

Once you have all of your parts, proceed to post 2 to see how it all installs.

Last edited by damonb10; Today at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Removal
- Remove the trunk mat(s) and the existing foam insert.
- Remove the rear plastic trim piece by extracting the cargo net pins and firmly lift up (there are a number of clips that are along the top edge)
- Remove the left side trim piece by removing the 2 plastic rivet pins and pulling the rear top lip down from under the rubber molding and finally pulling out as it releases the velcro at the front edge.
- Remove the right side trim piece the same as the left, except it has only 1 plastic rivet pin.
- Remove the felt and you now have a bare trunk. This is what mine looked like and notice it has no bolt holes for attaching the center hub clamp of the spare wheel.

Install
- Lay in the felt pad and reinstall the left and right trim pieces.
- Reinstall the rear plastic trim piece.
- Install the rubber pads as shown (note that I received 6 rubber pads - 4 thinner ones with white lines and 2 that were thicker and did not have lines, use the 4 thinner ones with white lines.)
- Bolt the cross bar in using only the middle 4 bolt holes. My car did not have holes in the trunk for the outer 4 bolt holes. You'll see below that I just laid the bar on top of the left and right trim pieces and bolted it with the inner 4 holes. A true spare trunk would have those outer holes and different trim pieces.

- Lay in the front foam insert

- Lay in the left and right foam inserts.
- Lay the spare tire/wheel in upside down.

- Lay in the foam insert inside the wheel

- Everything should be level across all those surfaces.
- Install the trunk mats and you're done!

You lose about 4 inches of depth. A good way to judge this is notice how the front bump between the trunk floor and the back seat is now level with the trunk mat. Also after driving around this way, the spare wheel has not budged at all. It is very secure.

One last note, is that the mats are a little tight lifting / lowering across the cargo net rings. Technically, the spare trunk has a different rear trim piece that locates those rings differently. However, my net is still fully functional and just takes a little manipulation to lift the mats over the rings.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by damonb10; 06-12-2017 at 11:05 PM.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)

Garage

Great write up! Thanks for posting such detailed pics as well.

2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport (without all that nanny tech )

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Garage

on that salvage yard site, i assume you use "spare tire carrier" as the part option? It says nothing found, but i submitted a search request. hopefully someone comes back to me with the parts i need.

thanks for the help man!

2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Iridium Blue/Graphite/Kacchu Aluminum
Drive Assistance/Premium Plus
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpegripper View Post
on that salvage yard site, i assume you use "spare tire carrier" as the part option? It says nothing found, but i submitted a search request. hopefully someone comes back to me with the parts i need.

thanks for the help man!
No, choose "wheel". Then on the next page you'll be able to select the "compact spare". Then it will take you to a TON of listings. Keep in mind due to the spare tire/wheel size you'll see lots of other infiniti vehicles. You can scroll down until you get to the Q50's if you are looking for more of the trunk parts.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:31 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)

great info. so where did you get the rubber pads from, if i may ask?
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Über Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
great info. so where did you get the rubber pads from, if i may ask?
They came from the same car and salvage yard where I got the rest of the parts. I happen to see them in the picture the salvage yard guy sent me of the trunk so I asked him to remove those and throw them in. He had to break the adhesive to get them off but there was enough adhesive remaining that they are sticking well in my car.
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
They came from the same car and salvage yard where I got the rest of the parts. I happen to see them in the picture the salvage yard guy sent me of the trunk so I asked him to remove those and throw them in. He had to break the adhesive to get them off but there was enough adhesive remaining that they are sticking well in my car.
Okay...sounds like i can improvise my own. thx!
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

do you own a silver sport or a red sport? is the bolt pattern the same for rs400 staggered rears as it is for the front and every spare wheel ever made for the q50 since MY2014?

have you noticed any change in driving dynamics since adding this to your vehicle?
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Darville View Post
do you own a silver sport or a red sport? is the bolt pattern the same for rs400 staggered rears as it is for the front and every spare wheel ever made for the q50 since MY2014?

have you noticed any change in driving dynamics since adding this to your vehicle?
I own a silver sport. My understanding is that the spare tire is the same for all Q50 models. Staggered or not makes no difference for the spare tire. I haven't noticed any difference in driving dynamics. You're basically adding probably 30ish pounds to the trunk with all the parts. So it is basically a minor weight penalty. However, my understanding is that non-RF tires are lighter than RF tires, so it may wash out in the end.

Good luck!

Last edited by damonb10; 07-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in