Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The Owners manual is pretty vague about it but taking a look at the SM for the 2016+ Q50 models
the below is clearly stated.

So just make sure you have API cert. oil or better and you are A-okay to run 0W-30/5W-30 oils
no mention on anything thicker however.

VR30DDTT engine:
• Genuine NISSAN motor oil or equivalent
• Engine oil with API Certification Mark*1, Viscosity
SAE 0W-20*2
*1: For additional information, see “Engine Oil
Recommendation”.
*2: As an alternative to this recommended oil,
SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be
used and meet all specifications and requirements
necessary to maintain the INFINITI New
Vehicle Limited Warranty.

2.0 turbo gasoline engine:
• Engine oil meeting specification MB229.5, Viscosity
SAE 0W-30 or equivalent
• As an alternative to this recommended oil, engine
oils meeting specification MB229.5, Viscosity
SAE 0W-40, 5W-30 and 5W-40 may be
used and meet all specifications and requirements
necessary to maintain the New Vehicle
Limited Warranty.
• For additional information, see “Engine Oil Recommendation”.
This makes more sense. I believe the graph Avedis shared is for the 2.0 motor.

IIRC My WRX with DIT had something similar where 5w30 synthetic was recommended, but 5w40 conventional could be used.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So now we got the fact that 5W30 is acceptable to use in the VR30... and LOL, like I'm going to use conventional 5W30 in this engine??? Nice job Infiniti...

Again, it's not so much the slight temperature range differences over 0W20, but that 5W30 has the higher viscosity (let me call it margin) to tolerate fuel dilution with this DI engine. Depending on your drive cycle, at the end of 5k miles, you could realistically have > 2% fuel dilution in the engine oil (I did in one oil sample), effectively dropping the oil viscosity one grade! Yes, in that one instance, my initial fill of 5W30 became 5W20 at the end of the change interval.

And then some folks run different Ethanol %'s, which I have not idea how mixing in the corn fuel into the oil (via blow-by) would change the viscosity equation at the end of the change interval. I can't imagine it would be better than gasoline.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,223 Posts
Judging by the smell of the crap in my CC it's catching some fuel. Not much but better than nothing.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,767 Posts
This makes more sense. I believe the graph Avedis shared is for the 2.0 motor.

IIRC My WRX with DIT had something similar where 5w30 synthetic was recommended, but 5w40 conventional could be used.
Yeah, after looking over other information, that graph is for the 2.0T motor.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yeah, after looking over other information, that graph is for the 2.0T motor.

What is this 2.0T motor you speak of? :confused:

Oh yeah, that one (from Mercedes, correct?)... the one Infiniti decided will not be offered on this platform going forward next year.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
What is this 2.0T motor you speak of? :confused:

Oh yeah, that one (from Mercedes, correct?)... the one Infiniti decided will not be offered on this platform going forward next year.
Well as the old saying goes "If it isn't good, let it die. If it doesn't die, make it good". ;)

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,223 Posts
0-20 good to over 100 deg F. So, with highs of only on the worst days mid to high 80's , maybe 95 at the worst, 0-20 is appropriate for me. 60's-85 daily in the summer. I'm good.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
0-20 good to over 100 deg F. So, with highs of only on the worst days mid to high 80's , maybe 95 at the worst, 0-20 is appropriate for me. 60's-85 daily in the summer. I'm good.
Again, it's NOT the temp range of the 0W-20 I worry about... it's the amount of fuel dilution and its negative effect on viscosity towards the last half of the oil change interval, 5K in my case (shudders @ a 10k OCI).

Looking back on my Blackstone Analysis history, the worst fuel dilution #'s were the period when I had the JB4 "in the loop". Now I'm running an Ecutek tune, so the fuel dilution has not cracked the 2% mark, however, to be safe rather then sorry, I'm sticking to 5W30.

In fact, if you ask Seb about oil choice, he recommended 5W40 for this engine.

I understand you are trying to get most gas mileage out of your rig, and 0W20 is one of the best multi-vise oils for better fuel mileage, I'm just making you aware of my observations regarding the viscosity changes.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,767 Posts
I'm changing oil @ 5000 miles using 0W-20. Given my climate, driving habits, and OCI, I think that viscosity is fine for me.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,223 Posts
My VPN'#'s are excellent, so no viscosity problems at all. I try to change at 4K interval, but slipped this time at 5K. Just changed it.

I expect >2% fuel since I have 20+ test hits logging for Seb on this oil AND 2 track days (blush). One reason I HAD to change it b4 the dyno. (I should have dropped the oil after the track I know.)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's for 2.0T

Here is the one for VR30 I took from my manual:

Maybe the Australian manual is different. For some reason all of the manuals I've looked through don't have that left hand chart you are showing. What section and page is that of your manual?

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe the Australian manual is different. For some reason all of the manuals I've looked through don't have that left hand chart you are showing. What section and page is that of your manual?
Yes, definitely different. It is on 9-7. There are only 10 sections in the Australian manual. Section 9 is technical information.
And actually it should be called 'International Version in English', not 'Australian Version'. Seems the same manual also used in Europe, South America, Korea, Taiwan, Hongkong, AUS, and NZ.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’m hearing a sound at full lock also, seems like it’s coming from the rear. Is that also CV joint noise?

JohnInNH — “My G37 IPL........”
Turns out a power steering fluid flush was needed, no more noise.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,223 Posts
I just got my oil analysis from Blackstone. Seems some of the 100 octane I got had lead in it. It shows in the analysis. I never had it before.

This oil had over 5K very hard miles on it. 2 days at the track, many data log pulls, 3 dyno runs, and hot days. 0-20 Valvoline Modern Engine Oil.

I'd had fuel in oil before at over 2%. I expected no less than 2% this time since I was often at max boost for a lot of those miles. This time I had only a "trace." My TBN was excellent, as was my flash point.

I make a point of telling Blackstone all the activity I put my car through on the oil. They keep a history of my motor in my file and make comments. Pic attached. I will continue to use 0-20 biased on these results. I also stick by the "break in procedure" I used to seat my rings. I also use the Mishimoto catch can "kit" on the PCV side.

Note my history: I did not send in my 1st oil change which I did at 1500 miles. So those numbers and oil change is not in the report below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,767 Posts
I just got my oil analysis from Blackstone. Seems some of the 100 octane I got had lead in it. It shows in the analysis. I never had it before.

This oil had over 5K very hard miles on it. 2 days at the track, many data log pulls, 3 dyno runs, and hot days. 0-20 Valvoline Modern Engine Oil.

I'd had fuel in oil before at over 2%. I expected no less than 2% this time since I was often at max boost for a lot of those miles. This time I had only a "trace." My VPN was excellent, as was my flash point.

I make a point of telling Blackstone all the activity I put my car through on the oil. They keep a history of my motor in my file and make comments. Pic attached. I will continue to use 0-20 biased on these results. I also stick by the "break in procedure" I used to seat my rings. I also use the Mishimoto catch can "kit" on the PCV side.

Note my history: I did not send in my 1st oil change which I did at 1500 miles. So those numbers and oil change is not in the report below.
The results for lead don't surprise me as most 100 octane race fuels have tetraethyl lead as an octane booster. Do you recall the brand of 100 octane gas you added?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,223 Posts
Sunoco "unleaded" 100 at the station near the dyno place in NH. Both days at Palmer Motorsports park, the fuel was labled "unleaded 100". So it must have had lead in it at Palmer, or so I figure, as it was from a "pump truck", and not an in ground brand name pump like Sunoco and at Thompson speedway. (I believe it was Mobile "unleaded" 100 at Thompson) Thompson also had leaded 110.
I would not knowingly put leaded fuel in my car.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My biggest take-away from looking at the wear metals (Fe, Al, and Cu) in my Blackstone Labs UOA is when I switched to Valvoline ME 5W30, the Fe & Al in the samples dropped by half (Fe = 25 ppm @ 9.5k miles vs 15 ppm @ 13.5k miles; Al = 13 ppm @ 9.5k miles vs 7 ppm @ 13.5k miles. Cu = 13 ppm @ 9.5k miles vs 5 ppm @ 13.5k miles.

The next OCI @ 19.3k miles showed no increase or decrease in wear metals - pretty much the same value was repeated.

So if all goes well, the next OCI @ 24kish miles should show no change in wear metals (hopefully).

41 - 60 of 67 Posts