Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Does everyone need a hotspot all of the time? If I have stock nav do I still need hotspot?
If you want to use navi, you have to provide internet somehow (hotspot, phone, etc.). This replaces stock navi completely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want to use navi, you have to provide internet somehow (hotspot, phone, etc.). This replaces stock navi completely.
Ddns...how is the sound quality on this unit compare to stock? Are you still using it after all these months? I did the Chinese android deck in my other car and the sound quality was crap and app like Poweramp did not work with steering wheel controls. The native app worked with SW but native radio/music app was horrible. What obvious features if any are still missing? I have the Bose w/navigation and obviously don't care about my stock navigation.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ddns...how is the sound quality on this unit compare to stock? Are you still using it after all these months? I did the Chinese android deck in my other car and the sound quality was crap and app like Poweramp did not work with steering wheel controls. The native app worked with SW but native radio/music app was horrible. What obvious features if any are still missing? I have the Bose w/navigation and obviously don't care about my stock navigation.
after having issues with my 3rd unit, I am currently back stock for the time being. The first unit had an issue where it couldnt be updated and randomly messed with my AC controls. The 2nd unit had a spot that was delaminated and had AC control issues. The third unit was PERFECT.....except 1 day I came outside in the morning to my hazard lights being stuck on. The only way to get them off was to take out the Tesla unit. Even traced it to the plug that was having the issue. I would have considered toughing it out, but it sounded like that version (Mark 2) wasn't ever going to get full bluetooth support and that was a primary reason I bought it, so that I could get my JB4 gauges on the screen. I still think the latest version Mark 3 will be awesome once they've worked out the bugs and stop doing major HW updates so they can focus on software support. Sound quality was just as good if not better than stock. I thought Poweramp was crap and regularly used the factory InTouch interface that the Tesla screen mimic'd very well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
after having issues with my 3rd unit, I am currently back stock for the time being. The first unit had an issue where it couldnt be updated and randomly messed with my AC controls. The 2nd unit had a spot that was delaminated and had AC control issues. The third unit was PERFECT.....except 1 day I came outside in the morning to my hazard lights being stuck on. The only way to get them off was to take out the Tesla unit. Even traced it to the plug that was having the issue. I would have considered toughing it out, but it sounded like that version (Mark 2) wasn't ever going to get full bluetooth support and that was a primary reason I bought it, so that I could get my JB4 gauges on the screen. I still think the latest version Mark 3 will be awesome once they've worked out the bugs and stop doing major HW updates so they can focus on software support. Sound quality was just as good if not better than stock. I thought Poweramp was crap and regularly used the factory InTouch interface that the Tesla screen mimic'd very well.
Yes I like the idea of it just not sure I want to deal with all the bugs now. There's a guy selling his Mark 2.1 for cheap but no way would I shell out $1k for the Mark 3. Thanks for your review, I think you helped me resist from buying it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also relying on internet for GPS can be an issue if you are driving in unfamiliar areas with no cell coverage.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Also relying on internet for GPS can be an issue if you are driving in unfamiliar areas with no cell coverage.
Most NAV systems carry a caching feature so the maps can be displayed without a signal for that very reason, that way even if your exact position isn't available
you can still view the route your taking.

It may not be a perfect but it's typically enough to get people into a section of road where they have reception again, worked like a charm
when I was driving through the mountains last year.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I think I'll wait for the Mark 5.0

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Most NAV systems carry a caching feature so the maps can be displayed without a signal for that very reason, that way even if your exact position isn't available

It may not be a perfect but it's typically enough to get people into a section of road where they have reception again, worked like a charm
The voice guidance system tells me that there is no map guidance for me when I drive into town and get off the main highway. Not because of reception issues but that there is no map information to develop guidance instructions from. That's how isolated this area is.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Maybe en route, but if you try to get a route from an area without coverage it won’t work. Happened to me with waze a few months ago.

Does the Tesla radio have an internal navigation system?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The voice guidance system tells me that there is no map guidance for me when I drive into town and get off the main highway. Not because of reception issues but that there is no map information to develop guidance instructions from. That's how isolated this area is.
Hah I know the feeling that happened to me heading to my roommates cabin in BC, although I drive an 09 G37 so who knows when the last map revision
was installed in the car.

I prefer to just know where I'm going most of time and look up my trip on a computer before leaving. :D

Maybe en route, but if you try to get a route from an area without coverage it won’t work. Happened to me with waze a few months ago.

Does the Tesla radio have an internal navigation system?
Correct you have to have it set before hand, if you try and pull up some map data without any reception you won't get anything
in most of the navigation systems.

For phone based systems it's usually a feature you need to turn on, so if your casting or using AA or ACP you may
need to turn the functionality on your phone first for it to work.

I can't speak to the Tesla nav systems though I have zero hands on experiencing with them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alright then, I appreciate that. Do all the Bose features still work for you?

Question 2, where did you buy yours from? Maybe the place I saw wasn't even an official retailer...also if you get any sort of affiliate links or attaboys, I will gladly give you the referral too
The guy you're mentioning from "a group" doesn't work for the company. Don't let one person that doesn't work for the company deter you from this being a pretty good unit. I've had two. Two because the first one wasn't that good, still better than intouch but not great. My second unit, is all that I need. Works with out issues and should be something Infiniti looks into for future cars. Maybe not this specific unit but forget about that double screen bs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to Pheonixandroidradio.com for this unit. There is a newer unit than this out that has corrected most if not all bugs. It has extremely fast boot and a larger screen than the Mark 2.

I also have the old Mark 2. I like this radio. I can now do navi and YouTube, stream music/video from just about wherever.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts